Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

D_PBI
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to filter a bar chart (which has a 3 layer hierarchy) via multiple date tables?

Hi all,
I have 4 dates tables (duplicate of each other, using the MIN() and MAX() of the date it's specifc to) that filter the same FACT table.

The date column in each of the above 4 tables is assinged a 1:* relationship with the FACT table.
For example:
dimDate_ReceivedDate[date] 1:* FACT[Received Date]
dimDate_EffectiveDate[date] 1:* FACT[EffectiveDate]
dimDate_ExecutionDate[date] 1:* FACT[ExecutionDate]
dimDate_SignedDate[date] 1:* FACT[SignedDate]

When I use multiple of these date filters to slice a table visual - it works no problem.

Lets say I want to filter the a bar chart visual by dimDate_SignedDate[date] Fiscal Year of 2019-20. The bar chart visual contains a Fiscal Year, Fiscal Quarter, Fiscal Month hierarchy from the dimDate_SignedDate table, in the visual's Shared Axis property. The filtering from the date dimension works fine, and IF the hierarchy used in the bar chart visual is using the dimDate_SignedDate hierarchy then all still works.

However, lets then say I wish to filter by the dimDate_ReceivedDate[date] Fiscal Year of 2016-17, the Received Date's filtering will work but the bar chart will also be filtered by the remaining dimDate_SignedDate hierarchy as it's still present in the visual's Shared Axis property.

I need some way of being able to filter the bar chart visual with the/any dimDate dimensions table and for the bar chart to be only filtered by them.
Is there a way to dynamically test the dimDate filtering taking placed and then to use that (or those) dimDate hierarchy(ies) in the visual Shared Axis property?

How can I acheive my aim?
Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@D_PBI,

A simpler approach would be to have one date table, and create one active and three inactive relationships with the fact table. You can use the technique in the article below to create a calculation group that will allow you to click the desired date (Received Date, Effective Date, etc.) to display in the visual.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/using-calculation-groups-to-switch-between-dates/ 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.