Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to fetch data from Power BI on premise gateway to Power BI Desktop

Hello,

I am stuck on this and want to know whether this is possible or not.

My client has installed an on premise gateway at there server and then connected to the data source with the help of it ( mysql database). Then they given me access of that gateway for that particular data source. This gateway cluster is showing on my Power BI service account.

Now, Is there any way that I can fetch data from that gateway to my Power BI Desktop and create reports from there ?

As per my understanding, I was thinking that gateway was required for scheduled refresh purpose after we publish .pbix files on Power BI Service and this requirement is completly opposite. But, I had this new requirement/suggestion from one of mine client's person. So how much feasible is this requirement of fetchinng data from  Power BI Gateway to Power BI Desktop ?

Thanks
Shubs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Shubs,

I think it's on the way. I can work like below to work around it. Please give it a try.

1. Create a Desktop file to connect to Mysql. This step intends to get the code unless you can write it directly. Please refer to powerquery-m/mysql-database.

2. Copy the code from the Advanced Editor. 

3. Add an entity with [Blank Query] in the Dataflow and paste the code into the editor. 

4. Update the credential. 

How-to-fetch-data-from-Power-BI-on-premise-gateway-to-Power-BI-Desktop2

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Shubs,

Actually, it's possible now. That's the new feature of the release of November. Please refer to blog/introducing-power-bi-data-prep-wtih-dataflows/ and intelligence-platform/power-bi-service/self-service-data-prep-with-dataflows.

The basic idea is creating a DataFlows in the Power BI Service with Gateway then connecting the DataFlows in the Desktop. Please refer to the snapshot below.

How-to-fetch-data-from-Power-BI-on-premise-gateway-to-Power-BI-Desktop1

Best Regards,
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Thanks for your response and sorry for replying late.

I have a Power BI Pro license and I can't see that Dataflow option in Power BI Services. Can you please guide me through it ?

Or Do I need to have a premium licenses to access that ?

Thanks
Shubs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I have created an app workspace and publish .pbix file and I can now finally see that Dataflow preview option( as in your shared image). But, they don't have mysql as datasource in there. So I thing this won't work then ?

Thanks
Shubs

Hi Shubs,

I think it's on the way. I can work like below to work around it. Please give it a try.

1. Create a Desktop file to connect to Mysql. This step intends to get the code unless you can write it directly. Please refer to powerquery-m/mysql-database.

2. Copy the code from the Advanced Editor. 

3. Add an entity with [Blank Query] in the Dataflow and paste the code into the editor. 

4. Update the credential. 

How-to-fetch-data-from-Power-BI-on-premise-gateway-to-Power-BI-Desktop2

Best Regards,
Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-jiascu-msft,

Thanks for your help. This finally worked. I have set up a scheduled refresh for this dataflow.

Just one query, When I will publish .pbix file(dateset) on Power BI Services after creating required reports then Do I need to scheduled refresh that dataset as well and Does the gateway(used to refresh dataflow) will work with that published dataset for scheduled refresh ?

Thanks
Shubs

Hi Shubs,

The refreshing on Dataflow doesn't refresh the dataset and reports that refer to it. You still need to set a scheduled refresh of the dataset. In short, we can take the Dataflow as an online data source. 

Best Regards,
Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Thanks for response. And, yes I figured that out. As everything will be on cloud(with use of dataflow), So we can refresh it(Scheduled refresh) without using the gateway as well.

I have configured that. Thanks for your help and time.

Cheers!!!

Thanks
Shubs

matvi
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

I'm not sure if I totally understand your question. BUT, the gateway should be linked to a dataset in a specific Group. You can go in the right group, in the Datasets section and locate a dataset that uses the gateway. Then download the dataset as .pbix. Be carefull to change the name of the report.

Hope it helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @matvi,

Thanks for your reply. But I guess may be I haven't explained it well enough. My problem is I have just set up a gateway( which was set up my client's IT team), which have the data source linked to it. Presently, no dataset is created or published to Power BI Services. They just configured the data source through Power BI gateway.

Now I want to fetch data from that gateway to Power BI Desktop. I am not sure whether this is possible to fetch data into Power BI Desktop via Gateway. So did you understood my requirement ?

Thanks
Shubham

Ok, I get it. I don't think you can. The gateway is meant to connect the Power BI Service to the on premise data sources. You can refer to this post:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Cannot-see-my-gateway-from-Get-Data/td-...

Good luck!

Mathieu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.