Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aagirre92

How to fetch SQL Server data from on-premises data gateway from another computer??

Hi,

I have two servers (Server A and Server B). I have access to SQL Server from Server B (but not from Server A). My aim is to fetch data from SQL Server

Considering this I've installed on-premises data gateway in Server B and it is working fine. On top of that I have created a Data source, using this gateway:

aagirre92_0-1663237935142.png

My question is: Having Power Bi Desktop installed in Server A, how can I point to this data source and fetch the data using this data source?? (I do not want to install power bi desktop in server B)

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aagirre92

Hi @v-xiaotang ,

Thank you for your time! I cannot do that, due to the fact that server B is in a completely different network than server A. However Server B has access to SQL Server (Server B and SQL Server are within the same network).

That is why I installed on-premises data gateway on Server B, so that SQL Server data can be queried from Power BI

My problem was that I cannot access that data from Power BI desktop (unless I install and use power bi desktop on server B, which is not feasible). I want to access that data from my work laptop

Finally what I did is create a Power BI Dataflow, using the mentioned SQL Server data source. That allows me to access to SQL Server data from anywhere using Power BI desktop (selecting Power BI Dataflow as data source)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
aagirre92

Hi @v-xiaotang ,

Thank you for your time! I cannot do that, due to the fact that server B is in a completely different network than server A. However Server B has access to SQL Server (Server B and SQL Server are within the same network).

That is why I installed on-premises data gateway on Server B, so that SQL Server data can be queried from Power BI

My problem was that I cannot access that data from Power BI desktop (unless I install and use power bi desktop on server B, which is not feasible). I want to access that data from my work laptop

Finally what I did is create a Power BI Dataflow, using the mentioned SQL Server data source. That allows me to access to SQL Server data from anywhere using Power BI desktop (selecting Power BI Dataflow as data source)

v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aagirre92 

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Is SQL Server located on server B? if so, you need to grant server A access to SQL Server, can you provide the error message when server A cannot access sql server?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aagirre92 

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Is SQL Server located on server B? if so, you need to grant server A access to SQL Server, can you provide the error message when server A cannot access sql server?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.