Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Yuvaraj
Helper I
Helper I

How to extract the data between special characters

Hi,

I am new to PowerBI, In below table i need to extract ID between the special characters(* and &).Could you please help me 

Comments
1.Found the root cause of "Reachability bill group issue"& documented it.
2.Working on CFO data issue*IM001350816&
1.Done the CFO data issue increamendal load script wise issue*IM001350816&
2.Done the aging no read manufacture code mismatch issue.
3.working on GAS ANL enhancement Poc *ALM# 2720&
Support moitoring process
AMI Deployment activity*IM001375780&
Order life cycle loading issue

Regards,

Yuvaraj 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ah, so far it wasn't clear to me that you had multiple lines in each text field... at least that's what I understand now.

I created an Excel file with some test data (yours and some slubby examples) and the code below in Power BI - Query Editor and another video to illustrate how it works.

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\Marcel\Documents\Forum bijdragen\Power BI Community\How to extract text between special characters.xlsx"), null, true),
    Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1_Table,{{"Comments", type text}}),
    AddedStart = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Start", each Text.PositionOf([Comments],"*",Occurrence.All)),
    ExpandedStart = Table.ExpandListColumn(AddedStart, "Start"),
    StartPlus1 = Table.TransformColumns(ExpandedStart, {{"Start", each _ + 1, type number}}),
    AddedLength = Table.AddColumn(StartPlus1, "Length", each if [Start] = null then null else Text.PositionOf(Text.Range([Comments],[Start]),"&",Occurrence.First)),
    AddedID = Table.AddColumn(AddedLength, "ID", each if [Start] = null or [Length] = -1 then null else Text.Range([Comments],[Start],[Length])),
    RemovedOtherColumns = Table.SelectColumns(AddedID,{"ID", "Comments"}),
    RemovedDuplicates = Table.Distinct(RemovedOtherColumns,{"ID","Comments"})
in
    RemovedDuplicates
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you split the column twice once by * and the &

Split Twice.gif

Then again there may be a better solution @ImkeF or @MarcelBeug

I tried this method but its remove the some comments after split the text thats why there is any other method to do

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Do you mean text after the & ?

This image (different from above) takes care of this scenario... Smiley Happy

Split Twice 2.gif

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Sean

If I understand correctly, the original content should be kept. If so, the column should first be duplicated and then the copy can be split.

I would probably come up with something similar as the solution provided by @Anonymous (but with null intsead of "" in case of no hit).

Otherwise I would suggest @Yuvaraj to provide the expected result, as the requirements are hard to understand.

yes

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Yuvaraj

Please try the code below.

Hope it will solve your problem.

Greetings

Hp Pfister

=Table.AddColumn(<YOURLASTSTEP>, "column1", each 
if Text.PositionOf([Comments],"*") +1 = 0 then "" else
Text.Range([Comments],
Text.PositionOf([Comments],"*")+1,
Text.PositionOf([Comments],"&")-1-Text.PositionOf([Comments],"*")))

Hi Pfister,

I was in leave past few days....

could you please give brief explanation on it. i am getting error..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Yuvaraj
What kind of error did you get?
Can you please post a picture of it?

I just click on add column and paste your expression showing this error.

Error:

The syntax for 'Table' is incorrect. (DAX(Table.AddColumn(<YOURLASTSTEP>, "column1", each if Text.PositionOf([Comments],"*") +1 = 0 then "" elseText.Range([Comments],Text.PositionOf([Comments],"*")+1,Text.PositionOf([Comments],"&")-1-Text.PositionOf([Comments],"*"))))).

Please see the below image 

ImageBI.png

Regards,

Yuvaraj

Anonymous
Not applicable

All right.

You have to enter the code provided in the query editor as it is a "M" Code, not a DAX Code.

I am trying but didn't get that, could you please attach the GIF file how to do that.

This video explains how to implement the solution proposed by @Anonymous.

thanks Marcel this is what am also expectingSmiley Happy...

From this i have one doubt in comments are entered single row if the ID are two means it will fetch the first ID row only but i need two ID's.

For Example:

1.Done the CFO data issue increamendal load script wise issue*IM001350816&2.Done the aging no read manufacture code mismatch issue.3.working on GAS ANL enhancement Poc *ALM# 2720&

the above three comments are entered in single row @Anonymous provided code is extract the first ID(IM001350816) but I need second ID also(ALM# 2720).

Expecting Output:

IDComments
IM0013508161.Done the CFO data issue increamendal load script wise issue*IM001350816&
3.working on GAS ANL enhancement Poc*ALM# 2720&
ALM# 27201.Done the CFO data issue increamendal load script wise issue*IM001350816&
3.working on GAS ANL enhancement Poc*ALM# 2720&

Regards

Yuvaraj

Ah, so far it wasn't clear to me that you had multiple lines in each text field... at least that's what I understand now.

I created an Excel file with some test data (yours and some slubby examples) and the code below in Power BI - Query Editor and another video to illustrate how it works.

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\Marcel\Documents\Forum bijdragen\Power BI Community\How to extract text between special characters.xlsx"), null, true),
    Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1_Table,{{"Comments", type text}}),
    AddedStart = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Start", each Text.PositionOf([Comments],"*",Occurrence.All)),
    ExpandedStart = Table.ExpandListColumn(AddedStart, "Start"),
    StartPlus1 = Table.TransformColumns(ExpandedStart, {{"Start", each _ + 1, type number}}),
    AddedLength = Table.AddColumn(StartPlus1, "Length", each if [Start] = null then null else Text.PositionOf(Text.Range([Comments],[Start]),"&",Occurrence.First)),
    AddedID = Table.AddColumn(AddedLength, "ID", each if [Start] = null or [Length] = -1 then null else Text.Range([Comments],[Start],[Length])),
    RemovedOtherColumns = Table.SelectColumns(AddedID,{"ID", "Comments"}),
    RemovedDuplicates = Table.Distinct(RemovedOtherColumns,{"ID","Comments"})
in
    RemovedDuplicates

Thanks for you valuble time Marcel. I am also expecting this

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.