Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kamran
Frequent Visitor

How to extract few columns from a table and apply Group function on them ?

Hi All

My data is as below:

StudentID

Name

City

Main Ethnicity

Ethnicity2

Ethnicity3

F

Wellington

European

Pasifika

Māori

H

Wellington

Māori

European

European

X

Wellington

E

Wellington

Māori

Pasifika

Pasifika

H

Wellington

Māori

Pasifika

Pasifika

D

Wellington

NZ European/Pakeha

European

European

A

Wellington

NZ European/Pakeha

European

Pasifika

A

Wellington

NZ European/Pakeha

European

Pasifika

B

Wellington

NZ European/Pakeha

Māori

Other

B

Wellington

NZ European/Pakeha

Māori

Other

B

Wellington

NZ European/Pakeha

Māori

Other

K

Wellington

NZ European/Pakeha

Māori

Other

G

Wellington

NZ European/Pakeha

Māori

Pasifika

I

Wellington

NZ European/Pakeha

Pasifika

Pasifika

J

Wellington

NZ European/Pakeha

Pasifika

Pasifika

J

Wellington

NZ European/Pakeha

Pasifika

Pasifika

Y

Wellington

J

Wellington

NZ European/Pakeha

Pasifika

Pasifika

J

Wellington

NZ European/Pakeha

Pasifika

Pasifika

C

Wellington

Pasifika

NZ European/Pakeha

Chinese

C

Wellington

Pasifika

NZ European/Pakeha

Chinese

Out of this data, I wish to display a table having output as:

All Ethnicities

No. of Students

Chinese

European

Māori

NZ European/Pakeha

Other

Pasifika

Logic should be:

1. Display all the Ethnicities in All Ethnicities column (Distinct Union of values from 3 Ethicities columns).
  2. Ignore the rows having Null Ethnicity.
  3. Distinct Count of Students for each Ethnicity separately i.e Count on Main Ethnicity, then on Ethicity2 and then Ethicity3.
  4. Finally display the total for all Ethnicities by Summing up individual totals in No. of Students column.

Is it possible in DAX?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Lin

Thank you so much for your solution and my apologies for such a late response.

Actually no one replied on my query for first few days so I left to pursue it and found a solution by myself,

which was interestingly almost similar to yours one, but I created 3 different tables(data sets) using SUMMARIZE and then created union of them in a final dataset.

Both of these solutions are serving the purpose partially, because, though they calculate the Total Count of students on all Ethnicities, but rest of the Dashboard is not filtered when I click on an individual Ethinicity (for example Chinese) in the table visual.

I solved this issue as below:

Redesigned the individual datasets, by creating Normalized datasets without duplication as it's the requirement to join two datasets in DAX data model.

Firstly created a granular dataset which is StudentID in this case, then another Dataset with StudentID and their Ethnicities, 

and finally linked all datasets with StudentID using One-to-Many and Both directional filtering properties.

Now, the Count of StudentID is producing the totals and all the visuals are also being filtered mutually.

Thanks again

Kamran

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI,@kamran

After my research, You can do these follow my steps as below:

Step1:

use this formula to create a table

Group table = 
var _table1=FILTER(SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[Main Ethnicity],"No. of Students",DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[StudentID])),'Table'[Main Ethnicity] <>BLANK()) return
var _table2=FILTER(SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[Ethnicity2],"No. of Students",DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[StudentID])),'Table'[Ethnicity2] <>BLANK()) return
var _table3=FILTER(SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[Ethnicity3],"No. of Students",DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[StudentID])),'Table'[Ethnicity3] <>BLANK()) return
var _uniontable=UNION(_table1,_table2,_table3) return
_uniontable

Step2:

Rename the column and drag fields into table visual

1.PNG

here is pbix, please try it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ruzky3x7g9wuus4/How%20to%20extract%20few%20columns%20from%20a%20table%20an...

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lin

Thank you so much for your solution and my apologies for such a late response.

Actually no one replied on my query for first few days so I left to pursue it and found a solution by myself,

which was interestingly almost similar to yours one, but I created 3 different tables(data sets) using SUMMARIZE and then created union of them in a final dataset.

Both of these solutions are serving the purpose partially, because, though they calculate the Total Count of students on all Ethnicities, but rest of the Dashboard is not filtered when I click on an individual Ethinicity (for example Chinese) in the table visual.

I solved this issue as below:

Redesigned the individual datasets, by creating Normalized datasets without duplication as it's the requirement to join two datasets in DAX data model.

Firstly created a granular dataset which is StudentID in this case, then another Dataset with StudentID and their Ethnicities, 

and finally linked all datasets with StudentID using One-to-Many and Both directional filtering properties.

Now, the Count of StudentID is producing the totals and all the visuals are also being filtered mutually.

Thanks again

Kamran

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.