Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

yuanyangEnext

How to export data from a Power BI Desktop to Excel OR CSV With Power Shell

Hello Everyone,

I want to export data from Power BI Desktop model to Excel OR CSV files.

Following the link shown below, we can manually Copy (Ctrl+C)Data from Data View in Power BI Desktop and then Paste (Ctrl+V) it to Destination like Excel and save it as CSV file.

https://www.biinsight.com/exporting-data-from-power-bi-desktop-to-excel-and-csv-part-1-copy-paste-an...

Is there a way to automatically Export data from PBI Desktop to Excel(CSV) With Script Like Power Shell?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @yuanyangEnext ,

I find a blog that introduces a way to implement scheduled export data with R script.  Hope it can help you. 

How to Auto-Schedule Data Export From Power BI 

To make Power BI better, you could vote up the ideas to get the feature fixed quickly.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi?query=auto%20export%20excel%20csv

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PBILover
Helper IV
Helper IV

I think we can install the personal gateway to run the RScript on any VM and then auto-schedule the data set to refresh in power BI service,  this way the data will be auto exported in an excel or CSV format.  

thanks for your response. This is very clear to me. However with the R Script i can only export a Power Query Table to a csv but not values from a a Table (Visuals) with calculated DAX Measures e.g.

This works with PowerAutomate but just with a manual trigger.

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @yuanyangEnext ,

You could try to use the third tool of DAX Studio to implement it. Please see the GIF.

1.gif

Reference:

Quick Tips: Export Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service Model Data In One Shot with DAX Studio

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Thank you very much for your prompt reply and good advice. Is there any way to automatically Export data from PBI Desktop to Excel(CSV) By the DAX Studio tool's 「Export Data」 or schedule and can automate Excute it background without human. Best Regards, Yang Yuan

Hi @yuanyangEnext and @v-xuding-msft 

Did you got answer to below Question?

Is there any way to automatically Export data from PBI Desktop to Excel(CSV) By the DAX Studio tool's 「Export Data」 or schedule and can automate Excute it background without human?

I am looking to achieve this.

Is there any way to do this?

Hi @yuanyangEnext ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark the helpful answer as a solution.  More people will find the answer easily and vote the idea up to get the feature fixed quickly.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Hi @yuanyangEnext ,

I find a blog that introduces a way to implement scheduled export data with R script.  Hope it can help you. 

How to Auto-Schedule Data Export From Power BI 

To make Power BI better, you could vote up the ideas to get the feature fixed quickly.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi?query=auto%20export%20excel%20csv

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

The R Scripts is nice to export Power Query Tables. Is there a way to do this with a Visual (Dax Measures)?

A PowerAutomate flow needs to be triggered manually for my understanding.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.