Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ykannan
Helper I
Helper I

How to expand list column which has empty data

Hi Friends,

I am taking data from Firebase DB which has List columns. One of the column data.caxxxx_order_id has empty data and more than one data. 

Below is the code where I need to change to display "" or add new rows for each Order id. For now I have hardcoded to take first value but I need dynamic code to display all order_ids.

let
Source = GoogleBigQuery.Database(),
svcfirestage = Source{[Name="xxxFirebaseDB"]}[Data],
firestore_export_FTxxxx_BI_Schema = svcfirestage{[Name="firestore_export_FTxxxx_BI",Kind="Schema"]}[Data],
FTxxxx_CASE_raw_latest_View = firestore_export_FTxxxx_BI_Schema{[Name="FTxxxx_CASE_raw_latest",Kind="View"]}[Data],
#"Parsed JSON" = Table.TransformColumns(FTxxxx_CASE_raw_latest_View,{{"data", Json.Document}}),
#"Expanded data" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Parsed JSON", "data", {"c00001_assc_d_id", "c00003_acctrepid", "c00003_acctrepnm", "c00003_coveredbyid", "c00003_coveredbynm", "c00004_acctid", "c00004_acctnm", "cxxxx_acctdistid", "cxxxx_acctdistnm", "cxxxx_casecolor", "cxxxx_caseid", "cxxxx_createdbyid", "cxxxx_createdbyname", "cxxxx_createddate", "cxxxx_do_flag", "cxxxx_enddt", "cxxxx_eventid", "cxxxx_lvl", "cxxxx_notes", "cxxxx_patient_id", "cxxxx_planequipmentflag", "cxxxx_robot", "cxxxx_startdt", "cxxxx_statusid", "cxxxx_timezn", "cxxxx_title", "cxxxx_trigger_end_time", "cxxxx_trigger_start_time", "cxxxx_updatedby", "cxxxx_updatedt", "cxxxx_voidfl", "c7620_item_only_fl", "c9100_compid", "ca101_assc_userids", "ca00003_shared", "ca00003_sharedrepids", "caxxxx_order_id", "caxxxx_sugnsnpis", "caxxxx_surgnids", "caxxxx_surgns", "ca901_procedures", "ca901_proceduresids", "ftxxxx_uploads"}, {"data.c00001_assc_d_id", "data.c00003_acctrepid", "data.c00003_acctrepnm", "data.c00003_coveredbyid", "data.c00003_coveredbynm", "data.c00004_acctid", "data.c00004_acctnm", "data.cxxxx_acctdistid", "data.cxxxx_acctdistnm", "data.cxxxx_casecolor", "data.cxxxx_caseid", "data.cxxxx_createdbyid", "data.cxxxx_createdbyname", "data.cxxxx_createddate", "data.cxxxx_do_flag", "data.cxxxx_enddt", "data.cxxxx_eventid", "data.cxxxx_lvl", "data.cxxxx_notes", "data.cxxxx_patient_id", "data.cxxxx_planequipmentflag", "data.cxxxx_robot", "data.cxxxx_startdt", "data.cxxxx_statusid", "data.cxxxx_timezn", "data.cxxxx_title", "data.cxxxx_trigger_end_time", "data.cxxxx_trigger_start_time", "data.cxxxx_updatedby", "data.cxxxx_updatedt", "data.cxxxx_voidfl", "data.c7620_item_only_fl", "data.c9100_compid", "data.ca101_assc_userids", "data.ca00003_shared", "data.ca00003_sharedrepids", "data.caxxxx_order_id", "data.caxxxx_sugnsnpis", "data.caxxxx_surgnids", "data.caxxxx_surgns", "data.ca901_procedures", "data.ca901_proceduresids", "data.ftxxxx_uploads"}),
#"Expanded data.cxxxx_startdt" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded data", "data.cxxxx_startdt", {"_seconds"}, {"data.cxxxx_startdt._seconds"}),
#"Expanded data.cxxxx_enddt" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded data.cxxxx_startdt", "data.cxxxx_enddt", {"_seconds"}, {"data.cxxxx_enddt._seconds"}),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded data.cxxxx_enddt", "Start Date", each #datetime(190000,01,01,0,0,0) + #duration(0,0,0,[data.cxxxx_startdt._seconds])),
#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "End Date", each #datetime(190000,01,01,0,0,0) + #duration(0,0,0,[data.cxxxx_enddt._seconds])),

#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Removed Columns",{"data.cxxxx_caseid", "data.caxxxx_order_id"}),
#"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns","OrderId", each if List.Count([data.caxxxx_order_id]) >0 then [data.caxxxx_order_id]{0} else "" )
in
#"Added Custom2"

Data:

Case_id  Order_id

c1           

c2          O1

O2

O3

Looking for

Case_id  Order_id

c1           

c2          O1

c2          O2

c2          O3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found a simple solution for this . This will save others friend's lot of time. If Microsoft added this step as part of ExpandListColumn, would be great.

Solution:

//Just replace the empty value to empty list as below, that is it.

#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Removed Other Columns","",{""},Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"order_id"}),

//Then expand the column and refresh without that error.
#"Expanded" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Replaced Value", "order_id")

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ykannan
Helper I
Helper I

Can someone please help on this? 

Dhacd
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @ykannan 

There is a fill-down option in the power query, Can you try that and check.
Note: the cells below c2 should be blank in order for this to work. If it note use the replace option in power query to replace it will null

Dhacd_0-1657682784691.png

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Regards,
Atma.

Hi @Dhacd , Thanks for your reply.
Order_id column has list data. Fill_down did not work for that. 
The list is empty for some rows and some has value. When I expand and the refresh, I am getting error as empty object cannot be converted. So in M code, I want to check for empty check, if not empty then that many rows should get created based on th list count. 

ykannan_0-1657739630395.png

I found a simple solution for this . This will save others friend's lot of time. If Microsoft added this step as part of ExpandListColumn, would be great.

Solution:

//Just replace the empty value to empty list as below, that is it.

#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Removed Other Columns","",{""},Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"order_id"}),

//Then expand the column and refresh without that error.
#"Expanded" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Replaced Value", "order_id")

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.