Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dancarr22
Helper V
Helper V

How to exactly size a bubble in scatter chart?

Hello,

We have a chart with 4 numerical values where we must explicitly state size and/or color.  Works for everything except bubble size:

(1) X-Axis - works fine - can define begin and end value.

(2) Y-Axis - works fine - can define begin and end value.

(3) Legend - works fine - can define colors based on specific values.

(4) Bubble size - DOES NOT WORK - while the bubble does size based on larger, smaller #s - you cannot define exact size - like you can on a line chart where you say 0 is begin value and 10 is end value.  If 1 is the lowest and 10 is largest value for a bubble --for a given filter -- then 1 is small and 10 is big.  If filter returns 10-20 - then the size of 10 matches prior size 1.  

Thoughts on how to resolve this?  Have tried various enhanced scatter charts, dot plots, etc - but nothing seems to work.  Ideas for a workaround?

Appreciate your assistance.

Thanks,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yeah, @dancarr22 not sure I see a way around this one. The minute you slice down to a specific value, you lose any kind of min/max reference. I can't see a way around that.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
rajendraongole1
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Thanks @rajendraongole1 and @Greg_Deckler but those solutions did not work.

The field which the bubble size is based on has 5 potential values: 1-5.  That is it.  If the dataset contains all 5 values: 1,2,3,4 and 5.  Then everything sizes properly.  1 is small, 3 is medium and 5 is big.  But, if the user filters the dataset so only 2-3 values appear - say 3 and 4 then the bubbles resize and 3 becomes small - since, due to the filters, that is now the smallest displayed value.  But, we do not want that.  3 should be middle/average sized regardless if only 3 is in the dataset of 1-5 or 1-3.  

Thanks,

Dan

Hmm, I am not seeing this in my example. Please see attached PBIX. If I select 3 and 5 from the slicer and then add 1, all the bubbles remain the same sizes. @dancarr22 

Latest book!:

@Greg_DecklerThanks for posting this!  Can see that it sort of works - if you choose 2 at a time.  But if you just select 1 then just select 5 you'll see that they become the same sized bubbles.

5.PNG

Yeah, @dancarr22 not sure I see a way around this one. The minute you slice down to a specific value, you lose any kind of min/max reference. I can't see a way around that.

Latest book!:

Thanks for the effort @Greg_Deckler 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @dancarr22 

Instead of filtering, could you have the unselected items turn white and blend into the background? Essentially you create a measure which show as selected/unselected. If the measure is unselected, you can customize the color and label series to be white. That way all sizes are still incorporated.

@Anonymous 

Can you elaborate a bit more your suggestion? I think I'm facing the same challenge as @dancarr22, since my bubble chart is showing bubbles that are classified under two different category values (A / B) , and if I apply a filter visual to show the ones whose category is A, I manage to remove the ones whose category is B, but some of the remaining bubbles grow automatically... I do not find the way to keep their original sizes:

PowerBI-bubbles.gif

Thanx!

Hi @efialttes 

Unfortunately, I never came up with a good solution.

So we came up with a different graph type.

Curious if you come up with something!

Thanks,

Dan

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Sure, put a constant value column in your Size. Then they are all the same? If you are trying to say that a 10 value has a 5 radius and a 1 value has a 1 radius and a 5 value has a 2 radius you can't do that to be best of my knowledge. What are you trying to achieve?

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.