Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AnandRanga
Helper III
Helper III

How to enable Q&A feature in PowerBI?

I am new to PowerBI, I read about the feature of Q&A in PowerBI, I enabled it in Page Information property and entered some tags used in the database frequently.

I published it on web and in the settings> datasets> Featured Q&A questions I also entered some questions like below:

Capture.PNG

But it didn't worked. Then I read that we need to add workbook for that, I created a workbook and uploaded it using OneDrive but it's not working?

Can someone explain or Is there any tutorial or article that explain each and everything how to create excel sheets for Q&A.

Thanks for help.

7 REPLIES 7
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AnandRanga,

In your scenario, you create featured questions for Q&A, to use those questions, you can enable Q&A for the dashboard which use this dataset, then back to the dashboard. For more information, please take a look at this article: Create featured questions for Power BI Q&A.

x1.PNGx2.PNGx3.PNGx4.PNGx6.PNG

In addition, we can use Q&A to explore Excel workbook or other datasets like SQL Server. You can take a look at this tutorial: Tutorial: use Power BI Q&A with the Retail Analysis sample.

If you have nay question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, 

I had create content pack ...but How to enable Q & A  feature, When I hadtried to  enable i got message 

Q & A is not available for any datasets Used on this dashboard

Please guide How to enable Q & A for dashboard which is in content pack. 

Q_A Enable With Content Pack.png

thanks 

vilas jadhav

Hi @jadhav_vilas84,

You need to check if below limitation exists in the dataset within content pack:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-q-and-a-direct-query/#limitations-...

https://gqbi.wordpress.com/2016/08/09/power-bi-how-to-resolve-qa-is-not-available-for-any-of-the-dat...

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft

Nice explaination sir, but when I click on datasets tab in  PowerBI It doesn't show anything.

I am connected with SQL server(web) and I have setup data gateway for schedule refresh and that's working nice but dataset tab is not showing any dataset.

What to do for that?

Are you Connecting (not Importing) to an Excel file on OneDrive? I believe in that case, you will not get a dataset created (because your Excel file sitting in OneDrive is technically your dataset).

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@AnandRanga wrote:

@v-qiuyu-msft

Nice explaination sir, but when I click on datasets tab in  PowerBI It doesn't show anything.

I am connected with SQL server(web) and I have setup data gateway for schedule refresh and that's working nice but dataset tab is not showing any dataset.

What to do for that?

Hi @AnandRanga,

In your scenario, it seems you are connecting to data source in Power BI service directly. Actually, we cann't connect to SQL Server database in service. So which data source do you connect to? Can you also share some screenshots about Gateway connection in dataset settings. Make sure use data gateway instead of personal gateway.

w3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This has all of the documentation on Q&A:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-q-and-a/

I'm unclear where the Excel file factors into this, is that the data source that you are pulling into Power BI Desktop?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.