Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to edit the report i do not see an option

Hi All,

We inherited a report developed by a 3rd party. I  downloaded the .pbix file and tried to edit the report, but i cannot find a way to edit it, please see the attached screen shot. Usually when i click on a table or anyother visual , it highlights the field from  the dataset/datasets on the right hand side,  but in this case it doesn't , Also i do not see the 3 dots on top right handed side of the visual, can someone please guide me as how this report was created?

Thanks

Capture.PNG

11 REPLIES 11
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

As the message says the PBIX file was stored in a format that is no longer supported. You need to convert it to the new format, or re-install a (really) old version of Power BI Desktop (Pre-November 2019)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lbendlin thanks, when i tried to convert, the whole report is blank, so i had to revert.

The blank report can be caused by the data source queries - you may need to update them in the Power Query editor.

If the report has been published to a workspace you can download the PBIX from there, it will be in the current format.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lbendlin thanks, here is what i did

1) Downloaded the .pbix file from the power bi service.

2) Opened using my current version 0ctober2021 and still the same , when i click on the visual none of the fields get highlighted and also the same "CONVERT" Message, I cannot see the VISUALS pane either.

3) All the queries are refreshed in the query editor, also without knowing what dataset the current visual is using, how can i even start to edit.

Thanks

3)  Go to Edit Data sources and see what the details are for each connection.  Does the connection work? If yes, does it return any data?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @lbendlin , did you mean click on the 3 dots next to the dataset and Edit Query?

Capture.PNG

Yes, that should work.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you are trying to edit this in the service (the browser)  rather than in Power BI Desktop ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lbendlin no its desktop please see the screen shot

Capture.PNG

What happens when you click on "Transform Data"  ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It loads data @lbendlin 

but when i do refresh from the report i get an error

There's not enough memory to complete this operation. Please try again later when there may be more memory available.

Whip out your debug tools - DAX Studio, Performance Analyzer, Query Diagnostics - to see where your cartesians go crazy.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.