Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

macemit
Frequent Visitor

How to edit some system data records

Hi,

I have a report that is based on data from an SQL db. It gets refreshed weekly. On average there are about 2000 new records added per week. Of those 2000, maybe 100 necessitate having a single cell per record revised. i.e. an incorrect entry was made by a field agent: 'open' should have been 'pending', etc. (in reality there are about 40 different options for this particular cell/field). It is always the same field that would need revision, no others. Call it column A.

What would be the best way of accomplishing these revisions? I've tried downloading the entire db into an Excel file, then, going forward, adding the new records also via download each week, eliminating the invariable duplicates, updating the relatively few records that require it, and finally having Power BI query the Excel spreadsheet, and ignoring the system data entirely. This is a tremendous effort.

I was hoping that Power BI had the ability to create a new table based on the original system data table with a single additional column appended, Column B. The revisions would be manually data entered into said column, and if a cell had no value, copy over the value from Column A I would then remap the visuals to draw data from this new 'cleaned' column B, rather than the original column A.  I cannot seem to get Power BI to do this however. Any help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @macemit

You may try to create a check fact table and use DAX FUNCTION like IF(), LOOKUPVALUE(), SEARCH(), etc. to add a new column.

when data source refresh, it would refresh too. and if you want to update the check fact table, you can also refresh it too.

and it couldn't achieve that edit data source in power bi.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.