Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to edit "map keys" misspelling in Shape map visual?

I would like to change the spelling of a single county shape in the Shape Map visual. I am not using a custom shape file, this is just a built in map of Ireland's counties.

In Ireland there is a county called Laois. In Power BI they call it Laoighis. This means that none of my Laois data appears on the map. As you can see below it's grey / blank. 

soliverc_4-1639678956357.png

So my question is, can I edit this section? 

soliverc_2-1639678816347.png

soliverc_3-1639678839750.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have fixed this by downloading an Ireland shapefile with the correct spelling. 

If anybody has this same problem, shapefile is here: https://github.com/deldersveld/topojson/blob/master/countries/ireland/ireland-counties.json

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have fixed this by downloading an Ireland shapefile with the correct spelling. 

If anybody has this same problem, shapefile is here: https://github.com/deldersveld/topojson/blob/master/countries/ireland/ireland-counties.json

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

AFAIK, current map visuals did not support auto recognized with different region names.
In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you add a column to manually fix/replace them to use the region name which power bi supported.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

No. 2 - I am aware of the problem.  I'm giving you options to proceed.  I put the wrong spelling (it should be Laoighis in your data to make it match).  You might not like it but if this is the only solution that works, then that's what you'll have to use.

No. 3 - Swap the spellings in my suggested solution

No. 1 - "where can I download these maps?" On the web or make it yourself.  There are individual sites (including govt ones) and github where people post them.

-------------

If I was doing it I'd try 3 first.

You might also contact the powerbi team and tell them they've got an outdated spelling on the shape map

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues 

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Now, I cut my teeth in powerbi on the Shape Map (is it still in preview? - silly question, of course it is).

Without trying it, I see 3 courses of action:

1 - get a different shape map that has the counties spelled the way you want

or

2- Edit your data to change the county name to Laois so that it matches.

or

3 - add a power query or calculated column which is the county spelling that you require (so all the same apart from Laoighis where you substitute Laois).  Use that in the display tooltip on the map (if that's possible, I can't remember offhand) and hope that the keys match up behind the scenes.

-- 

let me know how it goes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks hot chilli. I have a couple of questions:

1 - get a different shape map that has the counties spelled the way you want

where can I download these maps? I googled it and downloaded a file from here, but power BI doesn't recognize it: https://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/data/eea-reference-grids-2/gis-files/ireland-shapefile

2- Edit your data to change the county name to Laois so that it matches.

My data is already the correct spelling (Laois). The problem is Microsoft has decided to spell it incorrectly (Laoighis).

3 - add a power query or calculated column which is the county spelling that you require (so all the same apart from Laoighis where you substitute Laois). 

As I mentioned, the spelling is correct in my data. See below. Microsoft doesn't recognize it as it thinks Laois is spelled Laoighis. I had to check wikipedia and apparently this was the spelling 100 years ago. No idea why Microsoft is using that spelling. 

soliverc_0-1639739658985.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.