Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

reinholz
Frequent Visitor

How to dynamically calculate customer margin by month?

Hey!

I'm fairly new to Power BI and DAX and I need help with a matrix table I want to create.

I tried different approaches but can't figure out how to make it work.

Here is what I want to do:

I work for a SaaS company with a subscription business model. What I need to do is to create a matrix table that has our customers as rows, months as columns and the margin per customer and month as the values.

The costs each customer creates by using our service are stored in a fact table in our database. It basically has columns for "created date", "customer id" and "amount" and several others that aren't relevant for now. 

In addition I have a lookup table containing all our customers with columns "customer name", "customer id", "start date" and "monthly subscription price" (also "end date" for lost customers).

What I now want to do is to create the matrix table described above. My problem is that I can't figure out a way to create a measure that sums up the costs by customer and month and substracts it from the monthly subscription price. In addition the measure needs to take start and end date into consideration to only show the margin for the months the customer was actually a customer of us.  Another problem is that some customers don't have any records for costs in certain months, simply because they don't use the service. In that case the respective cell in the matrix table shouldn't be empty but show a margin of 100%.

Is there a way to make that work?

Any help and tips are highly appreciated!

Thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

@reinholz

According to your description, you should be able to use SUM function to sum up the costs by customer and month and subtract it from the monthly subscription price in your scenario. See my sample below.

I assume you have tables like below.

Costs

costs.PNG

Customer

customer.PNG

Date

date.PNG

Then you should be able to use the formula below to create the measure and show it in the Matrix.

Margin =
IF (
    MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) <= MAX ( Customer[end date] )
        || SUM ( Costs[amount] ) = BLANK (),
    (
        CALCULATE ( MAX ( Customer[monthly subscription price] ), ALL ( 'Date' ) )
            - IF ( ISBLANK ( SUM ( Costs[amount] ) ), 0, SUM ( Costs[amount] ) )
    )
        / CALCULATE ( MAX ( Customer[monthly subscription price] ), ALL ( 'Date' ) )
)

result.PNG

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

@reinholz

According to your description, you should be able to use SUM function to sum up the costs by customer and month and subtract it from the monthly subscription price in your scenario. See my sample below.

I assume you have tables like below.

Costs

costs.PNG

Customer

customer.PNG

Date

date.PNG

Then you should be able to use the formula below to create the measure and show it in the Matrix.

Margin =
IF (
    MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) <= MAX ( Customer[end date] )
        || SUM ( Costs[amount] ) = BLANK (),
    (
        CALCULATE ( MAX ( Customer[monthly subscription price] ), ALL ( 'Date' ) )
            - IF ( ISBLANK ( SUM ( Costs[amount] ) ), 0, SUM ( Costs[amount] ) )
    )
        / CALCULATE ( MAX ( Customer[monthly subscription price] ), ALL ( 'Date' ) )
)

result.PNG

Regards

Exactly what I needed! Thank you so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.