Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JMSNYC
Helper III
Helper III

How to dynamically append files when Folder is in Microsoft Azure Blob?

Hi.

I need to append daily files, with

• a same structure
  • a different date at the end of the file name.xlsx
  • a location into the same folder on a Microsoft Azure Blob container

I tried the Get Data>More>File>Folder ... but it only allows me to browse my local drive.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

JM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JMSNYC,

Based on my test, all the files from different folders will be imported by this way. So we should filter the files that we don't need out before you combine the files.

az1.PNGaz2.PNG

In Power query, we can filte the unrelated files out directly and combine the files later like this.

az3.PNGaz4.PNG

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JMSNYC

Based on my test, we can combine the files from the folder in Microsoft Azure Blob. Firstly we got the file list from the Azure Blob Storage then we can combine the files in power query.

1.png2.png3.png

Then we can get the result as we need. What’s more, if you remove or add some other files with same structure, once you refresh

the data in power bi desktop, all the files could be combined dynamically.

4.png

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Thank you Frank for your message.

Actually, I am doing exactly what you propose, except ... at the end of the query there is a variation ...

1/ My client files are organized in Folders within the Azure Blob

Hence, I only need to automatically append the files within this folder ... but 

2/ When I open the Blob, Folder structure is no longer visible, and all files are mixed up, and so I cannot take one example file and ask Power BI to append all of them 😞

Do you see my issue ? And if so, could you please propose ... some extra steps (?) ... I missed ?

Thanks for your very detailed support, already.

JM

Hi @JMSNYC,

Based on my test, all the files from different folders will be imported by this way. So we should filter the files that we don't need out before you combine the files.

az1.PNGaz2.PNG

In Power query, we can filte the unrelated files out directly and combine the files later like this.

az3.PNGaz4.PNG

Regards,

Frank

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.