Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

keithpoplar
Frequent Visitor

How to dynamically add/remove a chart

I have an existing dashboard developed in tableau and now I want to achieve the same effect using Power BI.

The tableau dashboard was developed in previous project by someone else so I don't know how it was done.

What I want to achieve:

• When I select a row from the table at left side, it will show a line chart at right side.
  • When I select 3 rows, it will show 3 line charts that stacked on each other.

Can this be done in Power BI? If not possible, how can I achieve similar result using other visuals in Power BI?

3 REPLIES 3
PowerDAX
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi keithpoplar - Power View in Excel had this capability (vertical/horizontal multiples).  Power BI has not added this capability as of yet.

The only current method I know to achieve this is using a custom visualization - SandDance (https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/show/SandDance1448759247246).  You will find many other uses for this visual but one of its features is "Facet By" which allows horizontal/vertical multiple.  You can utilize a slicer on the attribute you have selected to facet by in order to show multiple charts.

1. StackView - StackView lets users see their data organized into 3D bins.…
2. Animated Transitions - All transitions are animated to help users maintain context as…
3. Color By - Color By is an easy way to distinguish individual objects while…
4. Facet By - Any visualization can be faceted along an attribute.
5. Isolate - Use isolate to drill down onto just the relevant items.
6. Exclude - Exclude items that are not of interest or that are missing d…
7. Linked Views - Use brushing and linking between multiple views
8. Tree Maps - Treemaps show relative size of items with respect to each ot…
9. Save and Replay Insights - Save, replay and share your insights with others.

powerdax.com

Hi PowerDAX, thanks for your reply.

I tried SandDance. it is very powerful and it is very close to what I want to achieve. But the only problem with this custom visual is that its rendering speed.

I tested the visual in Power BI online. It took 5-10 seconds for each UI update. This is too slow for production use.

@keithpoplar

Currently, there's no feature which can gerenate a chart for each item within a table (like List in Reporting Services) in Power BI. I recommend submit a feature request on Ideas. For the performance issue of SandDance, you can click "contact author" to send email to them.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.