Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rax99
Helper V
Helper V

How to drill on datetime data without aggregating into level above

I have some data with a DateTime column. What I need to be able to do is drill down to the second level. I've created my own hierarchy Year>month>day>hours>minutes>seconds.

The only problem is if I plot some data on a line chart, and I drill down to the day, hours, minutes or seconds level, the data is grouped by the whole amount.

For example, if I drill down to the Day7 level, it will give me the data for all Day7's across all months. Or if I drill down to hour4, it will aggregate across every hour4, across every day of every month of every year.

so this sample data has 2 days worth of data.

Below shows across 2 days:

rax99_0-1641400769409.png

If I drill down a level, it gives me the hours:

rax99_1-1641401019661.png

But as you can see the hours have been aggregated across both days. 

I wanted to see the trend across the 2 days, so expect the chart to look something like the following:

rax99_2-1641401227845.png

Apologies for the crude illustration, but how can something like this be achieved?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rax99
Helper V
Helper V

Managed to solve it. If anyone is interested, the data type for the day/month/hour/min/sec columns I changed to Text. This stopped the data grouping into the number buckets

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
rax99
Helper V
Helper V

Managed to solve it. If anyone is interested, the data type for the day/month/hour/min/sec columns I changed to Text. This stopped the data grouping into the number buckets

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.