Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

henrycqc
Helper I
Helper I

How to do version with Power BI

Queries:

• Is there a better practice for Power BI version control to enable tracking of continuous iterations and rollback (error correction) in the same file(desktop) or using the online service?
  • How can you write reusable measures (Dax) that can be used in other projects?

Background:

I recently finished my first power by project. I worked remotely with another colleague and we ended up with 16 versions of the Power BI dashboard due to testing and rollback of features. I would like to avoid making different version to track developmental milestones.

Ultimately, I'm looking to use DevOps principles with Power BI.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
willjoe2442
Helper I
Helper I

Open the Power BI Version Control app.
Click the Check Reports Out button on the Home Screen.
This will list all PBIX and PBIT files in the Checked Out Reports folder. Select the reports you wish to Check-In in the Check Out Reports column.
Make sure to add comments.
Click Check-in reports button.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kaly
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @henrycqc ,

Is your problem solved?? If so, Would you mind accept the helpful replies as solutions? Then we are able to close the thread. More people who have the same requirement will find the solution quickly and benefit here. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Kaly

willjoe2442
Helper I
Helper I

Open the Power BI Version Control app.
Click the Check Reports Out button on the Home Screen.
This will list all PBIX and PBIT files in the Checked Out Reports folder. Select the reports you wish to Check-In in the Check Out Reports column.
Make sure to add comments.
Click Check-in reports button.

Hope this helps

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, what permission does one need to use this?

Hi willjoe2442

Our I IT team is still reviewing the software for security.

So for now we are following version control as shown in this video. https://youtu.be/i3s9isKKdDs

Thanks Willjoe2442

I searched for Power BI Version Control app and it looks interesting, but don't believe that our IT would allow us to install it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.