Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AllanXu
Helper II
Helper II

How to do the opposite of GROUP BY (or UNGROUP BY) in Power BI?

I have a dataset that includes summarized records. That means instead of repeating records like below:

Column 1

Column 2

A

X

A

X

A

X

A

Y

B

Y

B

Y

The dataset includes the following rows:

Column 1

Column 2

Number_of_rows

A

X

A

Y

B

Y

While the summarized format significantly reduces the size of the dataset, it imposes challenges in a few areas of Power BI.

Challenge#1: The Key Influencer in PowerBI uses the “Number_of_rows” column as a normal number data (like age or price) and it does not know that the “Number_of_rows” means the row repeats n times.

Challenge #2: I am not able to find a way to tell SandDance that the “Number_of_rows” column is a count column. It sees the column as a normal number column like age.

What are my options to teach PowerBI that “Number_of_rows” column is a count and it means the row repeats n number of times?

Thank you,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @AllanXu ,

Check the video below that makes use of the Table.Repeat function.

Believe is what you are looking for see below the code with your table:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUYoAYmOlWB0ILxKIDcE8JyjPSCk2FgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Number_of_rows = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Number_of_rows", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Table.Repeat(Table.FromRecords({[Col1 =1]}),[Number_of_rows])),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"Col1"}, {"Col1"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{"Col1", "Number_of_rows"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

This M code works

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Data"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column 1", type text}, {"Column 2", type text}, {"Number_of_rows", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each {Number.From(1)..Number.From([Number_of_rows])}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{"Number_of_rows", "Custom"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

This M code works

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Data"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column 1", type text}, {"Column 2", type text}, {"Number_of_rows", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each {Number.From(1)..Number.From([Number_of_rows])}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{"Number_of_rows", "Custom"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @AllanXu ,

Check the video below that makes use of the Table.Repeat function.

Believe is what you are looking for see below the code with your table:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUYoAYmOlWB0ILxKIDcE8JyjPSCk2FgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Number_of_rows = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Number_of_rows", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Table.Repeat(Table.FromRecords({[Col1 =1]}),[Number_of_rows])),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"Col1"}, {"Col1"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{"Col1", "Number_of_rows"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.