Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to do a sequential numbering by customer

How can I get the Numbering column based on the Customer column, renumber when Customer has changed?

Customer    Date              Amount     Numbering

John            1Jan2017       500            1

John            5Feb2017      400             2

John            5Mar2017     600             3

Mary            21Jan2017    200            1

Mary           20Mar2017    600            2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @danextian

Good question. Here is a pbix file demonstrating that it works.

From Microsoft's documentation, the rules for Boolean filter expressions are:

• The expression cannot reference a measure.

• The expression cannot use a nested CALCULATE function.

• The expression cannot use any function that scans a table or returns a table, including aggregation functions.

So basically you can create any boolean expression involving a single column as long as you don't use a measure/CALCULATE/table-scanning function.

In my case, YourTable[Date] <= CurrentRowDate is a Boolean expression comparing YourTable[Date] to a variable CurrentRowDate (effectively a constant at this point in the code), but CALCULATE isn't involved in this expression. The definition of CurrentRowDate didn't use CALCULATE either.

With the advent of variables, you can use a variable anywhere in a CALCULATE filter argument where a constant would have been allowed. This is one way of getting around the restrictions on Boolean filter arguments listed above. So if my definition for CurrentRowDate had involved CALCULATE, I could have still used CurrentRowDate the same way I did within CALCULATE.

Incidentally, I could have written this calculated column as:

Numbering = 
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS ( YourTable ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( YourTable, YourTable[Customer] ),
    YourTable[Date] <= EARLIER ( YourTable[Date] )
)

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

To create a calculated column with DAX, here are a couple of options.

Note, I'm assuming the ordering is based on Date, and I'll call the table YourTable.

Numbering = 
VAR CurrentRowDate = YourTable[Date]
RETURN
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS ( YourTable ),
    YourTable[Date] <= CurrentRowDate
)

or

Numbering = 
RANKX (
    CALCULATETABLE ( YourTable, ALLEXCEPT ( YourTable, YourTable[Customer] ) ),
    YourTable[Date],
    ASC
)

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Hi @Anonymous,

This is your post but please allow me to butt in.

Hi @OwenAuger,

I am under the impression that CALCULATE() function without using FILTER() cannot be used in a True/False expression. Isn't YourTable[Date] <= CurrentRowDate such an expression? Thus Power BI should have thrown this error: A function 'CALCULATE' has been used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression. This is not allowed.

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Hi @danextian

Good question. Here is a pbix file demonstrating that it works.

From Microsoft's documentation, the rules for Boolean filter expressions are:

• The expression cannot reference a measure.

• The expression cannot use a nested CALCULATE function.

• The expression cannot use any function that scans a table or returns a table, including aggregation functions.

So basically you can create any boolean expression involving a single column as long as you don't use a measure/CALCULATE/table-scanning function.

In my case, YourTable[Date] <= CurrentRowDate is a Boolean expression comparing YourTable[Date] to a variable CurrentRowDate (effectively a constant at this point in the code), but CALCULATE isn't involved in this expression. The definition of CurrentRowDate didn't use CALCULATE either.

With the advent of variables, you can use a variable anywhere in a CALCULATE filter argument where a constant would have been allowed. This is one way of getting around the restrictions on Boolean filter arguments listed above. So if my definition for CurrentRowDate had involved CALCULATE, I could have still used CurrentRowDate the same way I did within CALCULATE.

Incidentally, I could have written this calculated column as:

Numbering = 
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS ( YourTable ),
    YourTable[Date] <= EARLIER ( YourTable[Date] )
)

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @OwenAuger, is that a way to do the numbering in power query M?

It's a calculated column you can create in DAX.

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, i know. I would want to do this in power query because this will follow by the filtering process, which i want to filter some unneccessary rows and append it with other datasets.

@Anonymous

Here is a rough example of a Powre Query version:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8srPyFPSUTLUN9Q3MjA0BzJNDQyUYnXgMqb6RjAZE3QZY5iMGVTGN7GoEsg1QjLOCE3KAE1XLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Customer = _t, Date = _t, Amount = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Customer", type text}, {"Date", type date}, {"Amount", type number}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Customer"}, {{"Rows", each _, type table}}),
    #"Sort by Date" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Grouped Rows", {"Rows", each Table.Sort(_,{{"Date", Order.Ascending}}) } ),
    #"Add Index" = Table.TransformColumns( #"Sort by Date", {"Rows", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "Numbering", 1, 1)} ),
    #"Expanded Rows" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Add Index", "Rows", {"Date", "Amount", "Numbering"}, {"Date", "Amount", "Numbering"}),
    #"Fix Types" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Rows",{{"Date", type date}, {"Amount", type number}, {"Numbering", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Fix Types"

It groups by Customer, then adds an Index to the nested table then expands.

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.