Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to do a running Sum by group in Power Query?

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to do a running sum by group in Power Query (m language).  Thank you.

All solutions I found was to use DAX which I cannot use for my data at this time.

Here is what my data looks like, I would like a running sum of the cost in a new column.

Thank you all.

2017-10-25 09_02_31-Book1 - Excel.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can use this query (assuming you want to group on "BU"):

let
    Source = Table1,
    TableType = Value.Type(Table.AddColumn(Source, "Running Sum", each null, type number)),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"BU"}, {{"AllData", fnAddRunningSum, TableType}}),
    #"Expanded AllData" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "AllData", {"Location", "Month", "Cost", "Running Sum"}, {"Location", "Month", "Cost", "Running Sum"})
in
    #"Expanded AllData"

With function fnAddRunningSum:

(MyTable as table) as table =>
let
    Source = Table.Buffer(MyTable),
    TableType = Value.Type(Table.AddColumn(Source, "Running Sum", each null, type number)),
    Cumulative = List.Skip(List.Accumulate(Source[Cost],{0},(cumulative,cost) => cumulative & {List.Last(cumulative) + cost})),
    AddedRunningSum = Table.FromColumns(Table.ToColumns(Source)&{Cumulative},TableType)
in
    AddedRunningSum
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45

Hi @wgjunsay ,

You may apply different "group by" column in the code (instead of "BU"):

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"BU"}, {{"AllData", fnAddRunningSum, TableType}})

Cheers!

Hi people, I tried using this method and it worked, but only when I'm using group by with only one field.

Is there a way to make it work for more than one field? I want to group by name, year and month...

Hi @kotelo ,

Yes, you may group more columns and it still works:

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"Col1", "Col2"}, {{"AllData", fnAddRunningSum, TableType}})

Hi MarcelBeug,

Your solution is great!! It helps me a lot to minimize the performance issue based on DAX in the visuals!

I think it is also possible to modify the fnAddRunningSum function slightly to avoid List.Skip:

(MyTable as table) as table =>
let
    Source = Table.Buffer(MyTable),
    Cumulative = List.Accumulate(Source[Cost],{},(cumulative,cost) => cumulative & {List.Last(cumulative, 0) + cost}),
    AddedRunningSum = Table.FromColumns(Table.ToColumns(Source)&{Cumulative},TableType)
in
    AddedRunningSum

Cheers!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.