Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tprasad1
Frequent Visitor

How to display university name on map?

Hi,

I am working on an interactive map on Power BI Desktop which comprises of colleges/universities across the state of Georgia. I am trying to display the University Name when I hover my cursor on the locations. I can see the city, county etc. but not the university name. I tried adding the university name column to visual level filters but that didn't help either. Any ideas or suggestions on how I can achieve the same?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Assuming you have the lat/lng for the universities, why not add name as the Legend, that way you will have the name pop up on hover-over. If the city and county are important, perhaps create a calculated column which concatenates those things with University&", "&City&", "&County.

//Please mark as solved if your question has been answered

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.

View solution in original post

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tprasad1,

In your scenario, you can try to use the samdthompson's suggestion firstly.

If you already place a field in the Legend Property, I would suggest you place university name column in Location property. If there is another field in Location property, when you drill down the report, you can see the university name. See:

z1.PNGz2.PNG

Also you can create a calculated column to concatenate university name column with another column like this ( Column = [Location] & [UniversityName] ), then place this new column in Location property.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tprasad1,

In your scenario, you can try to use the samdthompson's suggestion firstly.

If you already place a field in the Legend Property, I would suggest you place university name column in Location property. If there is another field in Location property, when you drill down the report, you can see the university name. See:

z1.PNGz2.PNG

Also you can create a calculated column to concatenate university name column with another column like this ( Column = [Location] & [UniversityName] ), then place this new column in Location property.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@tprasad1 On top of what @samdthompson said if you have university name column in your dataset just drop it into Tooltips area for the Map visual and it will start appearing.

Capture.PNG

Adding text fields to tool tips always results in a arithmetic count for me @ankipatira rather than a label on hover-over. Is there a trick to that?

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

The Tooltips are only for aggregated data, so it won't work. The Power BI Team does need to add a 'Text' Tooltip. It will be extremely useful.

I think the 2nd post is your best answer.

Later this year, you will be able to upload your own mapping layers which should hopefully allow you to add landmarks.

Cheers,

DJ

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can drop a measure that returns text into the tooltip.

University Name = FIRSTNONBLANK( TableName(UniversityName), 1)

Assuming whatever you're using as your data point on the map corresponds to one university that will work. If it's an area that contains multiple universities (I dunno, maybe you have a hierarchy where they can drill up to the state or province) it will show the first university name in your table for that region.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

This solution was perfect for me. I was looking for a solution to add a text label to a map dot.

@KHorseman can you conactenate together the firstnonblank returns in the measure so you get the University, the City & the County?

@samdthompson I don't see why not. I'm sure it would work if you did something like

University = FIRSTNONBLANK(TableName[UniversityName], 1) & ", " & FIRSTNONBLANK(TableName[City], 1) & ", " & FIRSTNONBLANK(TableName[County], 1)

...though I haven't actually tested this exact case.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Assuming you have the lat/lng for the universities, why not add name as the Legend, that way you will have the name pop up on hover-over. If the city and county are important, perhaps create a calculated column which concatenates those things with University&", "&City&", "&County.

//Please mark as solved if your question has been answered

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.