Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JChris
Helper II
Helper II

How to display recidivist entires in a query?

I'm trying to spot people that have reinstalled software that was previusly removed by the IT team. Let's say I run a report extraction at 2017-10-05, 2017-10-10, 2017-10-15 and 2017-10-20 and have the following data:

ExtractionDate,OwnerID,Hostname,SoftwareName,SoftwarePublisher
2017-10-05,U0001,US100,"Super PDF Toolkit","Shady Co."
2017-10-15,U0001,US100,"Super PDF Toolkit","Shady Co."
2017-10-20,U0001,US100,"Super PDF Toolkit","Shady Co."

As you can see, the user had the software installed on 2017-10-05, the IT removed it after this date, so the report from 2017-10-10 didn't return anything regarding this user. The next report, 2017-10-15, brings back the software and it continues there in the 2017-10-20 report. In other words, the user reinstalled the software somewhere between 2017-10-10 and 2017-10-15.

How can I filter and display that in PBI Desktop, so I can see which users reinstalled a given software after we removed it, and which softwares are those?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JChris
Helper II
Helper II

So, after some tweakering I found the solution, and I didn't even need a measure, I just used the MATRIX visual with:

Rows:

1. Hostname

2. SoftwareName

Columns:

1. ExtractionDate

Values:

1. First of SoftwareName

On the left top, click on "at the lowest level of data". Now I can see and filter whatever I want. It would be better if I could filter for only the ones that had any change, I'm working on that 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JChris
Helper II
Helper II

So, after some tweakering I found the solution, and I didn't even need a measure, I just used the MATRIX visual with:

Rows:

1. Hostname

2. SoftwareName

Columns:

1. ExtractionDate

Values:

1. First of SoftwareName

On the left top, click on "at the lowest level of data". Now I can see and filter whatever I want. It would be better if I could filter for only the ones that had any change, I'm working on that 🙂

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @JChris,

You can try to use below formula to find out the last removed/installed date.(my formula will skip the continued date range)

Last Removed =
VAR PreviousDate =
    MAXX (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'sample' ),
            [OwnerID] = EARLIER ( [OwnerID] )
                && [SoftwareName] = EARLIER ( [SoftwareName] )
                && [ExtractionDate] < EARLIER ( [ExtractionDate] )
        ),
        [ExtractionDate]
    )
RETURN
    IF ( DATEDIFF ( PreviousDate, [ExtractionDate], DAY ) > 1, PreviousDate )

Last Installed =
VAR first_Date =
    MINX (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'sample' ),
            [OwnerID] = EARLIER ( [OwnerID] )
                && [SoftwareName] = EARLIER ( [SoftwareName] )
        ),
        [ExtractionDate]
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        [Last Removed] <> BLANK ()
            || first_Date = [ExtractionDate],
        [ExtractionDate]
    )

7.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could create a measure that simply does a DATEDIFF between the MAX "ExtractionDate" and the MIN "ExtractionDate". Any DATEDIFF of a DAY interval that is greater than zero would be the tell. If you put that measure into a table along with OwnerID and SoftwareName, you would have what you want I believe.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for the reply, could you give an example with the data I provided? I tried using DATEDIFF, but it didn't work as expected.

I created this measure:

Recidivist = DATEDIFF(MIN(recidivist[ExtractionDate]),MAX(recidivist[ExtractionDate]),DAY)

I put OwnerID, Hostname, SoftwareName and Recidivist into a table. Recidivist was 15, the difference in days between the Friday October 20th and Thursday October 5th.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

So, it didn't work as expected, the string you posted is the one I used. The number is the same for everyone, but I needed it to be per software, per user. The measure was in a table along with OwnerID and SoftwareName, you would have what you want I believe.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.