Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to display long text or comments within the data

Dear Forum members,

I have searched google and found few answers but still not found what I am looking for.

I have a comment or a note column which has extremely long text literally minimum of 2-3 lines to max. 40-50 lines. These are plain text no html involved otherwise I would have used HTMLViewer custom visual.

What I would like to do is to simply display my data (other fields) in a table related to this note and once any row is clicked then a rich text box appears/show (should be hidden when no row is selected, only clicking on the table any row) on the side/bottom of the screen with the complete note/comment related to that row, Is this something doable in Power BI? if it is, would anyone directs me and if it is not possible in Power BI will there be any alternate solution to resolve this?

Please if anyone can kindly share their thoughts on this, Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous: combining both the post of @parry2k and below will result in what you want! ( @parry2k : interesting link, learned something new today! 🙂 )

Well it isn't a rich text box but this is what I came up with. I have created an example with the following data:

Table4 containing multi-line text in Column1.Table4 containing multi-line text in Column1.

Then, I've created the following measure:

Measure = IF(HASONEVALUE(Table4[ID]), DISTINCT(Table4[Column1]))

This measure returns the Column1 value when the current data context has only 1 value in the ID column. Otherwise, it returns empty. 

Creating a table containing the ID column, and another table containing the Measure results in the follwing:

No row selected in the table with ID's, so the measure returns nothing.No row selected in the table with ID's, so the measure returns nothing.Row with ID = B selected, and table with measure returns the longtext.Row with ID = B selected, and table with measure returns the longtext.

With some mark up you can mimic the behaviour what you are looking for I think, but this will be the closest you will get. Try Card as visual for the Measure, that seems maybe might get you where you want to go 🙂

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Kudo's are welcome 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous: combining both the post of @parry2k and below will result in what you want! ( @parry2k : interesting link, learned something new today! 🙂 )

Well it isn't a rich text box but this is what I came up with. I have created an example with the following data:

Table4 containing multi-line text in Column1.Table4 containing multi-line text in Column1.

Then, I've created the following measure:

Measure = IF(HASONEVALUE(Table4[ID]), DISTINCT(Table4[Column1]))

This measure returns the Column1 value when the current data context has only 1 value in the ID column. Otherwise, it returns empty. 

Creating a table containing the ID column, and another table containing the Measure results in the follwing:

No row selected in the table with ID's, so the measure returns nothing.No row selected in the table with ID's, so the measure returns nothing.Row with ID = B selected, and table with measure returns the longtext.Row with ID = B selected, and table with measure returns the longtext.

With some mark up you can mimic the behaviour what you are looking for I think, but this will be the closest you will get. Try Card as visual for the Measure, that seems maybe might get you where you want to go 🙂

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Kudo's are welcome 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JarroVGIT 

Thank You very much, appreciated, I can see this is really the closest I can get but it works, great. 

Thank You so much.

Kind regards

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous you can surely achieve this, in this post it is explain how this can be achieved and use the same method for your use case.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing which really confuses me @parry2k - the article was published in April 2019 and I had a version of April 2019 for Power BI but I cannot see conditional formatting for a card which leads me to update the Power BI - November 2019.

I am confused how the author managed to see that? Were there 2 releases in April 2019, that is the only thing I can think of.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @parry2k - great, thank You, I did find this and applied to show or hide my HTMLViewer - it seems to work fine but the only issue the conditional formatting introduced in Power BI November 2019 release for card - it was not there, I had a difficulty in order to replicate and finally realise this is only available in November 2019 release.

Appreciated Your help and support.

Kind regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors