Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to display item with no data in the Radar Chart (Radar Chart 2.0.2) ?

Hi 

In my radar chart (i downloaded from the app store - Radar 2.0.2 ), in the normal case, I should have all five areas of focus for the training participants. However, when I select one person out from the list, it will not show all five areas of focus but it only shows some areas of focus. But I want to have those areas of focus with no value. I tried to use 

Without selecting the name of participants, this radar chart will show all 5 areas of focus. 

zxavierdeloitte_1-1605142274606.png

When selecting a participant from the full list, 

zxavierdeloitte_3-1605142570952.png

So I tried to check the website to see whether I can find any solution to it and I found this solution like this below. This feature allows you to show items with no values. However, in Radar 2.0.2, it does not have such a field that allows me to show the items with no values. 

zxavierdeloitte_2-1605142503706.png

In Radar 2.0.2 app, there is no feature that allows me to show items with no value. 

zxavierdeloitte_4-1605142723363.png

Summary

Is there anyone who is familiar with Radar Chart and I need help for this part? Or is there any better type of free version of Radar Chart that allows me to show items with no value as well? Or I need to do something to the data modelling diagram like many to one, one to many...?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

We create a sample model like yours.

H1.jpg

Then we have slightly modified the original Measure.

Measure = 
var _select = VALUES('Slicer table'[Area of Focus])
return
IF(
    ISFILTERED('Slicer table'[Area of Focus]),
    CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Program Table'[Program ID]),FILTER('Framework table','Framework table'[Area of Focus] in _select))+0,1)

H2.jpg

Please check the pbix file below.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally it works. Thanks so much for your patience and taking so much time and effort to guide me along! I believe this post will be very invaluable to others who want to display other items with no values.

v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

We create a sample model like yours.

H1.jpg

Then we have slightly modified the original Measure.

Measure = 
return
IF(
    CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Program Table'[Program ID]),FILTER('Framework table','Framework table'[Area of Focus] in _select))+0,1)

H2.jpg

Please check the pbix file below.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Which tables does your full name column belong to?

Do you have a relationship between Framework table and Program table?

If they have a relationship based on Program ID, you can try the following measure.

H1.jpg

Measure = 
return
IF(
    CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Framework table'[Program ID]),FILTER('Framework table','Framework table'[Area of Focus] in _select))+0,1)

H2.jpg

H3.jpg

If it doesn’t meet your requirement, could you please provide a mockup sample based on fake data?

It will be helpful if you can show us the exact expected result based on the tables.

Please upload your files to OneDrive For Business and share the link here. Please don't contain any Confidential Information or Real data in your reply.

Best regards,

BTW, pbix as attached.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-zhenbw-msft 

Thanks. It seems that I could not attach the sample pbi dashboard with mock data which is similar to my actual data. Anyway I will attach all the screen shots of my mock data here.

As for the full name, it actually belongs to another table which is called participant table.

zxavierdeloitte_0-1605680603262.png

Program Table, I added some additional info

zxavierdeloitte_3-1605680896277.png

I have created the new table for participant table and pls refer to the screen shot. Even if I created the table, the output is not quite correct.

zxavierdeloitte_1-1605680620977.png

zxavierdeloitte_2-1605680664374.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-zhenbw-msft 

I realise that I did not show you the Framework table. Pls find the Framework table below. It contains the list of all unique programmes with areas of focus, program ID, etc.

zxavierdeloitte_18-1605578572699.png

After creating the new measure, I added in these fields for Radar Chart and that is how I obtained the output. 

zxavierdeloitte_17-1605578417054.png

Perhaps I may use the wrong fields and please kindly enlighten me.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-zhenbw-msft 

Thanks. But I still could not get the right output though I manage to get all items displayed.

When I select Angeline she has taken only one course that allows her to work on her leadership quality. So the radar chart should show one point for Leadership while the rest should not show any value.

zxavierdeloitte_7-1605577805337.png

My workings are shown as below:

zxavierdeloitte_8-1605577934296.pngzxavierdeloitte_9-1605577944293.png

Then I created a new measure:

Area Spider =
var _select = VALUES('AreaFocusSlicer'[Area of Focus])
return
IF(
ISFILTERED('AreaFocusSlicer'[Area of Focus]),
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Framework'[Program ID]),FILTER('Framework','Framework'[Programme Name] in _select))+0,1)
v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

We can create a table and a measure to meet your requirement.

1. Create a distinct program name table. Note: there is no relationship.

Slicer table = VALUES('Table'[Program Name])

how1.jpg

2. Then we can create a measure. (The slicer used the Program Name in Slicer table.)

Measure = 
var _select = VALUES('Slicer table'[Program Name])
return
IF(
    ISFILTERED('Slicer table'[Program Name]),
    CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Program ID]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Program Name] in _select))+0,1)

how2.jpg

how3.jpg

If it doesn’t meet your requirement, could you please show the exact expected result based on the table that you have shared?

Best regards,

BTW, pbix as attached.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Have you tried adding zero to your measure, so that it is never blank?  That usually gives the same effect as Show Items with No Data.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pat, 
I think I may have misread your question. There is no blank field in my case. It is just that the program table contains all the programs taken by participants whilst the framework table contains full list of programs with accompanying areas of focus. So if participant A has taken 3 programs then the radar chart can only show the area of focus based on what he has taken. It will not show any other programs that he did not take. But we want to include the program that he did not take to reflect that he has not achieved that particular area of focus.

No added rows needed.  Use a column from our Framework table as the legend in the radar chart, then make a measure like this for the values

ProgramCount = COUNT(Program[Email Address]) + 0

or use DISTINCTCOUNT if someone may have taken it more than once.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pat

thanks for your suggestion. There is no legend provided in radar chart 2.02. Only category and y-axis. 

I thought that it shld be the total no of programs against area of focus?

As for the total no of program, it is as :

Total no of program = DISTINCTCOUNT(Program[Program ID])

zxavierdeloitte_0-1605150391583.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pat thanks for your prompt response. I did think of it since there is no functionality that allows me to show items with no values.

I have two separate tables with mock data: 

1) Program table (those programs have been taken by participants)

2) Framework table (list of all programs with areas of focuses)

Program Table (sample data)

--------------------

Email address  |  Program ID  | Name of Program

aaa@b.com        PG01               How to be a leader

aaa@b.com        PG02               How to present

aaa@b.com        PG03               Diversity 

Framework table (sample data)

---------------------------------

Program ID |  Program Name            | Area of Focus

PG01              How to be leader           Leadership

PG02              How to present              Communication

PG03              Diversity                         Motivation

PG04              Relationship                   Client relationship

PG05              Teambuilding                 Professional

So based on your suggestion, should I need to create additional rows in Program Table to match against the Framework table? I can see that it will create a lot of work as I have more than 1000 records in both tables.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.