Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Beau-Vintertun
Frequent Visitor

How to display duration in report view

Is there any way to show duration of time in the report (in a table) or data view like I can in the query editor. It seems silly you can format the column in the query editor as a duration but not be able to display it once you apply it. The left is in the query editor, and the right is in data view. Let me know!

duration 2.PNGduration.PNG

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Beau-Vintertun

Duration represents a length of time. It’s converted into a Decimal Number Type when loaded into the model. It is as designed according to this document.

If you only want to show duration of time in a Table report. I think the easiest way is to change the Data Type from “Duration” to “Text” as below. Then it will keep the type as "Text" and can be showed correctly.

How to display duration in report view_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
NicholeWinterES

I know this was years ago, but was the solution to keep the duration as text to be able to show on a visual. I have been trying to figure the best approach to display appointment duration and appointment duration over-lap with another appointment.

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Beau-Vintertun

Duration represents a length of time. It’s converted into a Decimal Number Type when loaded into the model. It is as designed according to this document.

If you only want to show duration of time in a Table report. I think the easiest way is to change the Data Type from “Duration” to “Text” as below. Then it will keep the type as "Text" and can be showed correctly.

How to display duration in report view_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

But then how you sort in ascending or descending order once converted to text.

What if you want to create a measure with duration?

Text conversion won't allow a sum, will it?

Thanks

@v-haibl-msft

Thank you!!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This collaborative blog article by @konstantinos and myself might help you out:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Aggregating-Duration-Time/ba-p/22486

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.