Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amsrivas
Helper IV
Helper IV

How to display Report Name in Power BI Report

Hi Guys!!

Weird but requirement 🙂

I need to display name of the Power BI Report on all pages of same Power BI Report Pages.

Please suggest!!

Thanks

Amit

6 REPLIES 6
ugurdemir
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thats a huge dissappointment that we cant get any info of our own report. What we must do is to hardcode the id of the report or dataset.

avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

You published a report first time => you know the giud (returned by REST API or just copied manually from the report URL). You can then use this guid to manage this specific report (Get-PowerBIReport -Id <Guid> and so on). I hope it's clear.

avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Use a parameter for the report name. Then you can use Power BI Cmdlets / REST API to loop trough all your reports (or reports in a certain workspace) and update the parameter with the report name.

if you want it to show current report name after it has been manually renamed in Power BI Service after the latest dataset refresh then use composite model. https://powerofbi.org/2021/02/01/a-power-bi-report-that-displays-its-own-metadata-including-refresh-... But it is probably too weird for just a report name and makes no practical sense.

Hi @avatorl 

Use a parameter for the report name. Then you can use Power BI Cmdlets / REST API to loop trough all your reports (or reports in a certain workspace) and update the parameter with the report name. 

- Via power BI Cmdlets/REST API, will have all the report name, how i will identify my report.

Thanks

Amit

avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

By report guid or by another parameter with an unique id. For example, you can find all reports (datasets) with <some uniuqe paramter name> parameter and update the parameter value with a report name for each of them. It will work for all copies of the report even if created manaully as long as the parameter exits in the report. If you need to conrtol only one report then publish it, store it's guid (in a file, in a database, hardcode into a PowerShell script) and then just access it using the guid. It fully depend on what you're trying to achieve. You can fully automate the process of report publishig and refrshing with PowerShell. For example, script A publishes a report and stores it's guid into a file. Then script B is shceduled to run a few times daily (taking into account refresh limitations) to find the report by it's guid and updates a parameter with report name. Or it can update report name in a database (connected to the report in composite mode). In this case you can refresh report name as often as you need.

Hi @avatorl 

Solution seems promising but am not able to uderstood completly.

1. Very first question is how to create unique GUID for every report name.

For e.g. I have all the reports with below PowerShell command

GET-PowerBIReport 

--> This will give me all the reports, now how i managed to provide unique ID.

2. Suppose, anyhow I have Unique ID, then how to identify out of many which is the report name need to fetch .

i.e say :

1. Nameof the report is Report-1  (where i need to display name of the report)

2. Data created by Powershell having data something like this

Report Name    GUID

Report-1           GUID(123)

Report-2           GUID(456)

How code knows which report name need to fetch from Report-1 or Report-2 as we dont have any identifcation criteria with us.

Hope i explained well!!
Thanks

Amit Srivastaa

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors