Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to disable default summarization of data

Hi

I have read a bunch of similar questions related to my one, however, I was not able to find a solution to fix my issue.

I have a "whole number" data type column which I have calculated, and I would like to to use this column as the value in a clustered chart. My issue is that Power Bi summarize this column by default and I don't need this I need just as it is in a table. I have disabled summarization for the column in the modeling tab 2019-08-23 12_53_37-ThelastOne - Power BI Desktop.jpg

, however, my values are on a count by default and I don't have an option to choose there for "Don't Summarize" option. I have tried to change the data type from the "Whole Number" to the "Text" but it also didn't help me. Is I am using the wrong chart or I need to add some formating to my query?

Thanks for the help.

2019-08-23 13_00_46-ThelastOne - Power BI Desktop.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

A chart or table will always summerize  when a field is added to the value secion 

in your example you have added duration to the values. because the duration filed is set to "Do not sumerize" it will default to Count in this case you have 1 entry for each project in your table so your chart is showing every project as 1.

in order to show the duration value you need to use SUM as the SUM of say project 1 is 150 so that would make your chart show what your after. 

for best practice you should change from "DO NOT SUMMERISE" to SUM

only Dimentions such as your project colunm should be left as do not summerise.

You have to remember that although your field for duration is already the value you want to show it cannot be input as a value it has to first be summerised. for example lets say instead of having one row with Project 1 duration 150

you had two rows as below 

Project_175
Project_175

in this case you would want to sum(duration) to get a total of sum(75 + 75) =150 

when there is only one row as in your example then the sum still works sum(150) = 150

i hope that makes sense 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AnthonyTilley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi im not sure what you are trying to accomplish but i think the issue is that you have the colunm in teh values filed 

a value filed will not allow a non sumerized value as the value is always an aggregated field so will only allow a MAX.MIN,COUNT SUM etc. 

if the filed is moved to the Ledged, or axis filed of the visual tehn it should work fine with teh settings you have 

if there is something i am missing then please let me know and i will try to help.

preferable show a screen shot of your visual and some sample data 

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @AnthonyTilley ,

I think this is a dummy question but it is important for me to understand where I am wrong.

I will give another example. I have a table with two columns (projects and duration) and I would like to visualize in a chart duration for each project. How to do it? Because as you can see from the screenshots below chart is showing count value for each project which doesn't have any sense for me. So how to avoid counting or any other summarisation in charts? By the way, summarisation is set to the Don't Summarise under "Modeling" tab for the duration column.

Thank you very much for your help.

2019-08-29 13_01_09-Untitled - Power BI Desktop.jpg2019-08-29 13_02_20-Untitled - Power BI Desktop.jpg

Hi @Anonymous 

A chart or table will always summerize  when a field is added to the value secion 

in your example you have added duration to the values. because the duration filed is set to "Do not sumerize" it will default to Count in this case you have 1 entry for each project in your table so your chart is showing every project as 1.

in order to show the duration value you need to use SUM as the SUM of say project 1 is 150 so that would make your chart show what your after. 

for best practice you should change from "DO NOT SUMMERISE" to SUM

only Dimentions such as your project colunm should be left as do not summerise.

You have to remember that although your field for duration is already the value you want to show it cannot be input as a value it has to first be summerised. for example lets say instead of having one row with Project 1 duration 150

you had two rows as below 

Project_175
Project_175

in this case you would want to sum(duration) to get a total of sum(75 + 75) =150 

when there is only one row as in your example then the sum still works sum(150) = 150

i hope that makes sense 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

As far as my knowledge goes, it is to do with the type of chart you are using.

If you were to use the 'Table' visualisation for your data, you will see the 'Don't Summarise' option.

I don't believe Clustered column charts allow you to bypass the summarisation. I would instead look to maybe filters and/or slicers to make the visual show you what you are looking for.

Hope that helps

Daniel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.