Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gaël
Regular Visitor

How to define the value of a cell to NULL in a "IF" sentence?

Hi!

I'm trying to define a cell to NULL in an IF sentence:

Column = IF(AND('public _view_powerbi__alm_x_periodo'[AFI]>='public _view_powerbi__alm_x_periodo'[PFI];'public _view_powerbi__alm_x_periodo'[AFI]<='public _view_powerbi__alm_x_periodo'[PFF]);'public _view_powerbi__alm_x_periodo'[id_alumno$];NULL)

The system replies : Operator or expression 'NULL' is not admited in this context.

If I set the value of cell to 0 (for exemple), a problem will appear when I will do a DISTINCTCOUNT for this column counting the 0 and the final information is wrong.

How can I do for or set cell to NULL or do not count the 0 value in a DISTINCTCOUNT?

I'm directly connected to the Data Base (Postgresql).

Thank you very much for your help.

Edited: I've created a new column where Vacio =  and I modified the original sentence to

column = IF(AND('public _view_powerbi__alm_x_periodo'[AFI]>='public _view_powerbi__alm_x_periodo'[PFI];'public _view_powerbi__alm_x_periodo'[AFI]<='public _view_powerbi__alm_x_periodo'[PFF]);'public _view_powerbi__alm_x_periodo'[id_alumno$];'public _view_powerbi__alm_x_periodo'[Vacio])

but the problem with DISTINCTCOUNT stills the same... It counts the empty cells...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

calculate(distinctcount((your column name here) ) , (your column name here) <> 0)

I'm assuming the column has only numerical values. If not then replace the 0 with '' or "" 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Mr_Niels
Regular Visitor

Hi Gaël,

what works well for me to count distinctvalues is to create a measure with this formula (not my find originally, but I don't know the source anymore):

Calculate(DistinctCount(tablename[columnname]);Filter(tablename;Not(isblank(tablename[columnname]))))

I'm quite new to Power BI, but I think you can assign a Null value by using just lowercase letters (null rather than Null or NULL)

cheers,

Niels

That only applies to the query editor. There are two languages in Power BI. In a query you can return null by typing null in lowercase. In a DAX formula use BLANK().

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

This is the only answer to the question that was asked and should be the accepted response. The others may have solved OP's issue, but they did not answer the question. 

IF ( x = 7 , 7 , BLANK() )

Thank you!!! DAX is really messing with me.
Short version of how I'm transposing my DW data with your input.

ex:

IF( 'value_label'="Federal Tax(s)", value('value_amount'), blank()

I know this is old, but I just tested to remove the comma and values for the "if false" portion of the formula.

So instead of typing ", blank() )", just clost the expression BEFORE the value if false with the close parentheses ")".

Anonymous
Not applicable

calculate(distinctcount((your column name here) ) , (your column name here) <> 0)

I'm assuming the column has only numerical values. If not then replace the 0 with '' or "" 

Thanks a lot danielhjorvar, it works perfectly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.