cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lisaeugene Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: How to deal with a "(BLANK)" value in a card visualization

Had the same problem. Used this suggestion and it works perfectly. 

Simple and elegant!

sewaktamang Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi even though it seems you have solved this issue , this might be helpful for you to understand the scenario

http://powerbidax.com/how-to-deal-and-remove-blank-and-nan-value-in-power-bi/

NayanaBhagat Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Replacing blank with 0(zero) will send out a wrong inference to the user implying that the value is zero. Instead is there an alternate way to display 'N/A' or 'No Data' instead of (Blank). 

I tried the option that you suggested by replacing '0' with 'N/A'.

New Measure = if(ISBLANK([Original Measure]),'N/A',[Original Measure])

However, the Original Measure converts to a decimal digit (Eg: 22.00) which I actually want to show as a whole number(22). No function like INT,ROUNDTODOWN seem to be truncating the decimal part.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nayana

NayanaBhagat Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Displaying 0(zero) in place of (BLANK) gives out wrong information to the user. Instead can we have 'N/A' or 'No Data' displayed instead of 0?

I tried to use, New Measure = if(ISBLANK([Original Measure]),0,[Original Measure])

and replace 0 with N/A like,

New Measure = if(ISBLANK([Original Measure]),'N/A',[Original Measure]).

I am able to now see 'N/A' when the data is not present, but if there is data my [Original Measure] is converted to decimal number(Eg:22.00) which I actually want to see as whole number (22).

None of the functions like INT,ROUNDDOWN is able to truncate the decimal number to whole number.

Any ideas/suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Nayana

sewaktamang Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hello NayanaBhagat,

You can truncate decimal value  without using any dax/function.

Go to Modeling tab
2. Just below Format :  you can decrease decimal places . Make it 0 and you will have only whole number.

1111.PNG

v-srgoda Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

I'm facing the same issue, where i want the card viusal to show '0' instead of 'Blank', but my problem is the column i used is never empty, but after applying few conditions it turns out to be blank. So  both  '+0' or 'IF' conditons are not helping me!!! 

joris Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Another trick is to use the advanced card visual with conditional formatting. You can then set the font color to white for when it equals 0.

nmck86 Member

You could go to edit queries and change blanks to 0 if that would not mess up any other formulas. It is edit queries and then go to the column and “replace values” leave the top blank as it is a blank field and then the replace with field you can put in 0.
Highlighted
arohatgi Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Just add + 0 after your measure for e.g. "Your Measure" + 0.

belvoir Member

@MattAllington 

In addition to the +0 trick, I have also used the following to get just white space on some visuals like the Card - that can be effective as I find zero to be misleading at times and (Blank) is distracting.

Measure = IF( ISBLANK([Measure]), "", [Measure]) -- note the "" is two quotation marks together. Of course you can put space between the marks if you are creating a concatenated string.

Interestingly I have been working with the Call Out Value on the Gauge today. The usual

DIVIDE( x, y, BLANK()) gives a '(Blank)' visual but so does DIVIDE( x, y, "") - or any string. So there's some inconsistency there. DIVIDE(x, y, 0) gives '0%' - so there's nothing that returns literally nothing. My users will just have to suffer with (Blank)!