Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DeepDive
Helper IV
Helper IV

How to deal when ..Power BI dashboard Source data- changed and Table name / Column headers renamed ?

Hello Members !!

Am Working on a Power BI dashboard which is connected to Excel file Data Source available there in local system.

Now client has moved that datasource on Azure SQL Database, where there are number of Tables (added few more unrelevant tables). Also names of (Relevant Tables and Relevant Columns) has been changed .. few more columns are added into the relevant tables.

What would be the best possible way to continue with the same dashboard or I would need to re-create the same as there there are 5 dashboards which looks very time consuming excersice.

Experts kindly suggest me what to do here. ?

thanks...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In PowerQuery if you just double click on a column name you can change it.  Once you have changed a couple (it will add all the changes in a single step) you can see what the code looks like in the formula bar.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @DeepDive ,

I would say your best bet is to rebuild using the new data structure and names. 

You could make a query against the Azure source that goes through all the steps to remove new columns and change names from the new name to the old name so it matches the old format exactly.  Then go into the advanced query editor and copy the code form the new query and paste it over the code for the old query (the excel data source).

The problem with doing it this way is, the first time there is a problem with the data and you go to their data guys and say that the 'Order Amount" is wrong and they look in the Azure DB and there is no such field because the new name is 'Order Line Quantity' you have a whole new set of problems.

Hi @jdbuchanan71 , thanks for your response. Is it the way if I change my data source to Azrure DB and then make changes/modification in my existing dashboard like go to each components and change the dax accordingly Or I just re-create the same.

Thanks.

I would add the Azure data sources to your existing model and change the DAX to the new sources.  That way you can see what the old numbers looked like as you are making the changes.  Once you are done making all the changes you can delete the old sources from your model.

can you pls help with the advance query editor code to change mulitple columns at one time.. pls share with example..
thanks

What are you trying to change on the columns?  If you are wanting to change the data source you would need to start a new query from scratch using Get Data > Azure > Azure SQL Database to pull your table into your model.

I want to change column (multiple column) names after importing table from Azure to Power BI.

In PowerQuery if you just double click on a column name you can change it.  Once you have changed a couple (it will add all the changes in a single step) you can see what the code looks like in the formula bar.

Thanks @jdbuchanan71  for the solution. I am also looking to change the column names of one table basis the another table. Means there are two fields in second table in which one fields have old coulmn names and other fiels have new column name. And basis this table, how can i rename main table coulmn name.

Thanks 

If you look in the query editor you can see the column renaming syntax, you would just add the aditional columns in there.  Just build the rename string in excel and paste it into the query editor.  I wouldn't try messing with using a table to rename the columns in another table.  

Ok thanks for your support.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.