Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

id013
Helper V
Helper V

How to customize data export

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to customize what gets exported out when you choose hthe export data option on a visual. So currently I have a visual that shows total sales by a drillable date heiarchy of Year, Quarter, Period & Date so you can drill down to see more granular sales data. 

However when I choose to export data out of that visual it automatically groups the data in the lowest granularity which in this case is per day. Is there a way to control this behaviour or is the only option to remove the day granularity from teh date heirarchy. I'm currently using Power BI report server (on-prem) but it's possible we may move to the cloud deployment so if it's possible on either I'd be glad to know.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @id013 ,

Is there a way to control this behaviour or is the only option to remove the day granularity from teh date heirarchy.

To my knowledge, it is not supported to export the current hierarchy data of the visual in Power BI currently.

And here are some similar ideas you can vote up:

Microsoft Idea  · Allow export of summarized data (powerbi.com);

Microsoft Idea  · Exporting Reports at Current Hierarchy Level (powerbi.com).

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@id013 when you export data from a visual in the powerbi services, you get below two option. if you select the first option, your data will get exported inthe summarize format. However, if any hierachy has been used in the data, then it will export data in the hiearchial format. Also, these two options will be available as per the settings defined by the owner in the dataset.

• Summarized data

• Underlying data

Refer to below link for more detailed help

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-export-data

Customize the export data user experience

Users who are granted access to a report are granted access to the entire underlying dataset, unless row-level security (RLS) limits their access. Report authors and Power BI administrators can use the capabilities described below to customize the user experience.

• Report authors decide which export options are available to users.

• Power BI administrators can turn off some or all data export options for their organization.

• Dataset owners can set row level security (RLS). RLS will restrict access to read-only users. But if you have configured an app workspace and given members edit permissions, RLS roles will not be applied to them. For more information, see Row-level security.

• Report authors can hide columns so that they don't show up in the Fields list. For more information, see Dataset properties

These customized user experience do not restrict what data users can access in the dataset. Use row-level security (RLS) in the dataset so that each person's credentials determine which data they can access.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors