Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to create variance field and variance %

Hello all,

i'm beginner and just want to know how i can create the variance of column 1 and 2 and also the variance %

2017-05-29 13_49_50-Orakel Product Performance v1.0 - Power BI Desktop.png

the numbers 1 until 5 represent columname MONTH and the products represent columnname PRODUCT.

Kind regards,

Rega

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

You can create measures below:

Variance = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Amount]),FILTER(Table1,'Table1'[Month]=1))-CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Amount]),FILTER(Table1,'Table1'[Month]=2))

Variance % = DIVIDE('Table1'[Variance],CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Amount]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),'Table1'[Month]=1)))

q2.PNG

By the way, I would suggest you display those two measures in card visuals. As you use matrix visual to display data originally, if we add two measures to this matrix, two measures values will display under each column group, means under 1, 2,...,5, each will have three columns. It will make the matrix messy, as you just want to return variance between the 1 and 2.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

Do you mean like:

Variance = [1] - [2]

Variance% = ([1] - [2]) / [1]

---------------------------------------

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

You can create measures below:

Variance = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Amount]),FILTER(Table1,'Table1'[Month]=1))-CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Amount]),FILTER(Table1,'Table1'[Month]=2))

Variance % = DIVIDE('Table1'[Variance],CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Amount]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),'Table1'[Month]=1)))

q2.PNG

By the way, I would suggest you display those two measures in card visuals. As you use matrix visual to display data originally, if we add two measures to this matrix, two measures values will display under each column group, means under 1, 2,...,5, each will have three columns. It will make the matrix messy, as you just want to return variance between the 1 and 2.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Greg_Deckler,

indeed!

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @v-qiuyu-msft,

Thanks for your advise. But what if want to have measures which calculate the variance and variance % between month 2 and 3 or 4 and 5 ? So to have a flexible measurements?

Highlighted

Have a look at our Variance and Waterfall Chart:

https://dataviz.boutique/

FeatureSheetVarianceOS.pngFeatureSheetWaterfall6.PNG

Highlighted

How did you get the Table reference to work? I can't find table names or anything similar to that using the current PowerBI Desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors