Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to create reusable function

Hello,

I would like to create a reusable function and I cannot find a way to do that. Is it even possible? Here is my use-case. I have several columns e.g., "Score A" and "Score B" with scores that I want to map to a word. Thus, now for each column I have to create the following calculated column.

Qualitative score for A = if(X[Score A]<10,"Poor","Excellent")

Qualitative score for B = if(X[Score B]<10,"Poor","Excellent")

However if I need to change a word e.g., from "Poor" to "Not acceptable" I have to update each and every calculated column. Is there any way to create a DAX function, or any function somehow to calculate the qualitative score value of a score input?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eventually I created an M function following the tutorial here.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
garythomannCoGC
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Custom (Reusable) DAX Function   please vote :}

Anonymous
Not applicable

Eventually I created an M function following the tutorial here.

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

As mentioned above, you may select Unpivot Columns in the Query Editor and use Matrix visual later. To invoke a custom function, you could create a new Blank Query and add code below to Advanced Editor.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt185361.aspx

let
    QualitativeScore = (Score as number) => if Score < 10 then "Poor" else "Excellent"
in
    QualitativeScore
Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-chuncz-msft

unpivoting will not work because the columns are claculated columns. Invoking the custom function also works only on the edit query level thus no chance to do it if the score is a calculated column.

@Anonymous,

Instead of calculated column in DAX, you could add column in Query Editor as well.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-chuncz-msft

Yes you are right but DAX is much simpler than M when it comes to complex functions, even not so complex, simple if statements, or a SWITCH in M is alsmost impossible to do.

In my case the score that I want to calculate is a logarithm based on values of other columns. Anyways thanks for helping!

@Anonymous,

You may use the GENERATE Function similar to the CROSS APPLY condition in SQL.

Table =
GENERATE (
    X,
    UNION (
        ROW ( "Attribute", "Score A", "Value", X[Score A] ),
        ROW ( "Attribute", "Score B", "Value", X[Score B] )
    )
)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous,

Without knowing your table/scenario, I suppose that you want is something like that, but it will not work properly:

Qualitative score = if(X[Score A]<10 || X[Score B]<10 || X[Score C]<10 || X[Score D]<10 ,"Poor","Excellent")

... but, if each column have only one Score, I think that the best scenario is unpivot your table like this:

Atribute           |         Value
Score d            |          4

and create this column:

Qualitative Score = if(x[Value]<10 ,"Poor","Excellent")

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

Thank youfor the answer. Each score should have its own qualitative value. The unpivot method could work but the columns are calculated columns so I cannot unpivot them since they do nto appear in the Query.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.