Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WayneRoseberry

How to create new table that pivots columns based on dynamic values in existing column

I have a table that looks like this:

FailureAudiencehits
123456Team100
123456Insiders230
445632Team25
445632Insiders100
445632Outsiders332

And I want to create a new table that looks like this:

FailureTeamInsidersOutsiders

How do I do that? I can do it easily enough in a page view via the UI, but cannot figure out how to make a table pivoted on columns this way.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
WayneRoseberry

A co-worker helped me figure out the solution.

I used a Summarize operation, and then on the calculated column, did a double filter. The insider FILTER operation matches all rows to the current Failure via an EARLIER operator. The outer FILTER then matches all rows where the "Audience" field equals a specific value. It isn't quite dynamic (I am hard coding to look for specific values in the Audience column, which in my case are a finite set), but it gets the job done.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
WayneRoseberry

A co-worker helped me figure out the solution.

I used a Summarize operation, and then on the calculated column, did a double filter. The insider FILTER operation matches all rows to the current Failure via an EARLIER operator. The outer FILTER then matches all rows where the "Audience" field equals a specific value. It isn't quite dynamic (I am hard coding to look for specific values in the Audience column, which in my case are a finite set), but it gets the job done.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @WayneRoseberry,

In Query Editor mode, choose the [Audience] column, click "pivot column" option under Transform tab.

1.PNG

2.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks. The data in question is in a table, not a query, so the query editor is not available.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.