Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shds
Advocate I
Advocate I

How to create last twelve months - calculated column/measure based on selected year and month slicer

I have a report which contains a year slicer and a month slicer so you can select a specific scope for the related charts. Some charts will only look at the selected month in the selected year, but I need other charts to take the selected year and month and specifically look for the twelve months up to the selected year+month.

So for example if you select:

• Year: 2016
  • Month: 10

Then

• Chart 1: displays sales data with dates in october 2016 (this is easy and this works)
  • Chart 2: should display similar sales data, but within the date range of October 2015 through October 2016.

I can't get Chart 2 to function propertly. The DAX query I'm working with seems to get close, but somehow doesn't do what I require:

Sales12M = CALCULATE (
    SUM('data'[Sales]) / 1000;
    DATESBETWEEN (
        'Date'[YearMonthnumber];
        SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR ( NEXTDAY ( LASTDATE ( 'YearMonths'[YearMonthnumber] ) ) );
        LASTDATE ( 'YearMonths'[YearMonthnumber] )
    )
)

I have tried fiddling around with a separate Date dates by day table and another YearMonths table that only shows 2016-01-01, 2016-02-01, etc.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
EAfang
Frequent Visitor

In your DAX formular, you iterated by MONTH with

DATESBETWEEN (
        'Date'[YearMonthnumber];....

And then used the NEXTDAY() function which pushes by a day. Try using the DAY iteration like this

Sales12M = CALCULATE (
    SUM('data'[Sales]) / 1000;
    DATESBETWEEN (
        'Date'[Date];
        SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR ( NEXTDAY ( LASTDATE ( 'YearMonths'[Date] ) ) );
        LASTDATE ( 'YearMonths'[Date] )
    )
)

I was wondering if you got this to work. I am having the same issue.  I am about to just give up 😞

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@shds

Using 2 slicer: Year and Month:

Use this Dax Code

12M =
CALCULATE (
    Sum(Sales[Value]),
    DATESBETWEEN (
        'Date'[Date],
        DATEADD ( FIRSTDATE ( 'Date'[Date] ), -1; YEAR ),
        LASTDATE ( 'Date'[Date] )
    )
)

Lima - Peru

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.