Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akumar_nexamp
Regular Visitor

How to create formula-based columns in Power BI for forecasting?

Hello,

I have a somewhat unique table sitting in an excel file and I'm unsure how exactly to rewrite it in Power BI. Essentially, I have multiple projects in my rows, a date by which the project's capacity should be filled, and columns showing me months from today in which the project fill rate is evenly distributed by month until the start date of that project. 

Currently, my month columns are based on 'today()' for the first column with 5/12 and then using EDATE to add 1 month and I've manually stretch my columns to the end of 2022. I then have two sets of IF statements to tell me the months that a project is eligible to be "Sell" status and then another similar table to bring in the capacity that needs to be filled in remaining months.

This table is used to forecast the necessary totals by month that need to be filled as time passes forward. I'm guessing the most 'manual' solution would be to hard code column names and merely use them as references. I appreciate any help!

akumar_nexamp_0-1620843240354.png

2 REPLIES 2
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@akumar_nexamp 

You need to turn your data into Power BI with appropriate format first, then think of how to create dax to meet the logic. Based on your screenshot, you need change table a format with 1 column header and data value on the row. For example:

Project Date Capacity size Actual ......
A

100 25 ......
X 2021.2.5 50 15 ......

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

Thank you for the response! Yes, that's what I ended up doing. I created a separate date table and then matched in the corresponding date values and got my sums via SUMX.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.