Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GeorgeG
Helper I
Helper I

How to create date entries for how long a Ticket has been open?

Hi. I have a dataset that contains information on our Tickets in the IT department. I have a created date, closed date and amount of days the ticket has been open.

My issue is that we want a bar chart showing each day how many tickets have been open for different time groups:

0-2 days = green

3-7 = yellow

8-30 = red

31+ = black

However, the chart only displays the ticket for the created date. Please see the below example. The Black section of the chart shows 1 ticket that has been open for 37 days and was created on the 15/01. Therefore, the same Black section should show on each bar (the pink underlined bars) from 15/01 to the 22/02. How would I achieve this? Thank you:

GeorgeG_0-1614112845353.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GeorgeG 

I think you have a bar chart and show the count of the value which create date and close date are all in range.

Ex: 1 ticket that has been open for 37 days and was created on the 2021/01/15 and closed on the 2021/02/22. Therefore, the same Black section should show on each bar from 2021/01/15 to the 2021/02/22.

My Sample:

Day Open and Flag are all calculated columns.

DayOpen = DATEDIFF('Table'[CreateDate],'Table'[CloseDare],DAY)
Flag = 
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    'Table'[DayOpen] <= 2, "0-2",
    'Table'[DayOpen] <= 7, "3-7",
    'Table'[DayOpen] <= 30, "8-30",
    "31+"
)

1.png

Build an unrelated date table by dax.

Date = CALENDAR(MIN('Table'[CreateDate]),MAX('Table'[CloseDare]))

Then build a count measure as below.

Count = 
IF(
MAX('Table'[CreateDate])<=MAX('Date'[Date])&&MAX('Table'[CloseDare])>=MAX('Date'[Date]),
CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[Flag]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Flag]=MAX('Table'[Flag])&&'Table'[CreateDate]<=MAX('Date'[Date])&&'Table'[CloseDare]>=MAX('Date'[Date]))),
0)

Build a bar chart.

2.png

You see 31+ has two, one is between 2021/01/13 to 2021/02/20 and another is between 2021/01/15 to 2021/02/22.

Select Blank bar in 2020/2/10

3.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: File

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GeorgeG 

I think you have a bar chart and show the count of the value which create date and close date are all in range.

Ex: 1 ticket that has been open for 37 days and was created on the 2021/01/15 and closed on the 2021/02/22. Therefore, the same Black section should show on each bar from 2021/01/15 to the 2021/02/22.

My Sample:

Day Open and Flag are all calculated columns.

DayOpen = DATEDIFF('Table'[CreateDate],'Table'[CloseDare],DAY)
Flag = 
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    'Table'[DayOpen] <= 2, "0-2",
    'Table'[DayOpen] <= 7, "3-7",
    'Table'[DayOpen] <= 30, "8-30",
    "31+"
)

1.png

Build an unrelated date table by dax.

Date = CALENDAR(MIN('Table'[CreateDate]),MAX('Table'[CloseDare]))

Then build a count measure as below.

Count = 
IF(
MAX('Table'[CreateDate])<=MAX('Date'[Date])&&MAX('Table'[CloseDare])>=MAX('Date'[Date]),
CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[Flag]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Flag]=MAX('Table'[Flag])&&'Table'[CreateDate]<=MAX('Date'[Date])&&'Table'[CloseDare]>=MAX('Date'[Date]))),
0)

Build a bar chart.

2.png

You see 31+ has two, one is between 2021/01/13 to 2021/02/20 and another is between 2021/01/15 to 2021/02/22.

Select Blank bar in 2020/2/10

3.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: File

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.