Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to create countifs in DAX - replicate Excel countifs

I'm trying to replicate Excel's countifs function. I've seen a couple other posts but I'm new to DAX and not totally clear how to do this.

How do I create a DAX formula that evaluates three separate columns and returns the count of how often the rows repeat?

Below I've created what I want in Excel. Column AK is what I want to create in DAX

countif dax.png

I tried just evaluating one column to get me started and I'm clearly doing something wrong. Here is the formula I tried:

Column = calculate(countx(Deliveries,DISTINCTCOUNT(Deliveries[Delivery])))
...but I just get a result of 1 for every row.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mhossain
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous 

use below dax, it should work

Countifs=
var delivery = 'Table'[Delivery]
var salesdoc = 'Table'[SalesDoc]
var item = 'Table'[Item]

RETURN

COUNTROWS(
FILTER(
all('Table'),
delivery='Table'[Delivery] &&
salesdoc=''Table'[SalesDoc] &&
item='Table'[Item]))

Please change the table name as per your table name, please let me know if this works for you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mhossain
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous 

use below dax, it should work

Countifs=
var delivery = 'Table'[Delivery]
var salesdoc = 'Table'[SalesDoc]
var item = 'Table'[Item]

RETURN

COUNTROWS(
FILTER(
all('Table'),
delivery='Table'[Delivery] &&
salesdoc=''Table'[SalesDoc] &&
item='Table'[Item]))

Please change the table name as per your table name, please let me know if this works for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It worked! I had to change "item" to "item1" because I got a red error line, but now it worked.

Can you tell me how this is working so I can learn please?

Hi @Anonymous 

Very glad it worked for you, in order to answer your question.

Basically it's similar logic of countifs in excel.

We are filtering all three columns with 'AND' operator as per the criteria at row level and then counting the rows. Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions.

Thanks

https://www.linkedin.com/in/manawar-hossain-a7475614/ 

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

what are you trying to evaluate exactly, if you can say what you trying to do, then i can help, but i think what you might be needing is the filter() function.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

My data has double counts in it for some columns but not others.

For the columns that have double counts I want to adjust the values (by creating a new column) to reflect the double counting. E.g., there are delivery expenses that show up multiple times. The delivery expense in total is $10...but the row is repeated three times so when it's summed together it's $30. I want to add another column that divides by how often there is double counting. So, to continue the example the # of double counts might be 3 so I take $30 / 3 = $10 so I can sum correctly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.