cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Lara
Frequent Visitor

How to create a template/mask for different csv files?

Hi all!

My question is whether and if yes, how it is possible to create a "template" or "maske power bi file" which I can distribute empty, i.e. with no data but with already created visualizations, so that the people who receive this empty file can load their csv file into the template and have an individual dashboard with their data?

I so far took one of those csv files as an example and created a dashboard. Can I somejow empty and change it to be a temple?

Many thanks!
Lara

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Microsoft v-huizhn-msft
Microsoft

Re: How to create a template/mask for different csv files?

Hi @Lara,

For your scenario, you can create a template, and other prople can use it to create same report using their data.

1. Create your PBI File and Go to Query Editor (Edit Query) and go to Manage Parameters.

2. Export like Template Power BI & Close.

3. Other people import the Template and Enter the datasource.

More details, please review this article.

Please feel free to ask if you have other issue.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Sunkari Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Try to play with Power Query code. By changing the path dynamically you can achieve that.

Refer following for more details.

https://powerpivotpro.com/2015/10/share-and-refresh-power-query-with-local-links/

Microsoft v-huizhn-msft
Microsoft

Hi @Lara,

For your scenario, you can create a template, and other prople can use it to create same report using their data.

1. Create your PBI File and Go to Query Editor (Edit Query) and go to Manage Parameters.

2. Export like Template Power BI & Close.

3. Other people import the Template and Enter the datasource.

More details, please review this article.

Please feel free to ask if you have other issue.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

jamesfulford
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I read your solution as am trying to do something similar.  However, i don't understand what i have to do in the Manage Parameters stage.  What parameters do I have to manage?

I have created visualisations and want to be able to connect them to a new excel file each month, not just change the base file and refresh.

Am new to Power BI so any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

James

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors