Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brika
Frequent Visitor

How to create a measure to subtract a column that is summed from a column that should not be summed.

I have a column that is a whole number that I have set to to "Don't Summarize" in the visualization and I have another column that is a sum of the value that is in multiple rows. I need to create a measure that is the difference between these two columns. However, the formula for the column that should not be summed fails if I remove an aggregation against it.

Here's what I'm trying to get to:

CountDifference = (Table1[ItemCount]) - SUM(Table1[Item2Count])

However, this is failiing. How do I write this formula to skip any summarization/aggregation for the first column?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MyDifference = AVERAGE([ItemCountExpected]) - SUM(OrderNumber[ItemRecieved])

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you use SUM in the measure anyway? The SUM should take it's context into account and if you have the first column to not summarize then it should honor that context. I'd have to see some data and how you are using it in your visual.

Latest book!:

I tried using SUM and COUNT, they both handle the number incorrectly. This first column is repeated across each of the rows that are being summed up in the 2nd column. So the outcome with either of those options is incorrect.

I'm really hoping there's an equivalent to the visualization's "Don't Summarize" option that I can use in the measure formula.

I'd have to see the data behind this to understand what is going wrong here. 

Latest book!:

Here's a simulation. For background, my table has a row for every item and if it has been received or not. I'm pulling in purchase order data that tells me how many items I'm expecting in that Order. I'm trying to do this measurement because our data is missing item rows in some of the Orders and I'm want to quickly identify the descrepancy to resolve the issue.

OrderNumber, ItemCountExpected, ItemRecieved

123, 5, 1

123, 5, 1

123, 5, 1

113, 3, 1

113, 3, 1

113, 3, 1

In the matrix or table visualization in the report, I want to see the following:

OrderNumber, ItemCountExpected (Not Summarized), ItemCountReceived (Summarized), CountDifference (new measure)

123, 5, 3, 2

113, 3, 3, 0

MyDifference = AVERAGE([ItemCountExpected]) - SUM(OrderNumber[ItemRecieved])

Latest book!:

brika
Frequent Visitor

While I'd still like to see if this is possible using a Measure, I solved my problem a different way. In the queries I referenced my table and created a new table. I used Group By in the new table and created my desired aggregrate view. I then added a custom column that let me subtract the 2nd count column from the first count column and I know have what I'm looking for. I'll use this new table to create the visualizations I need in the dashboard/report.

However, please let me know if there's a way to do this in a measure in a way that doesn't require a sum/count on one of the values.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.