Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

iDataDrew
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

How to create a line chart with months on x axis and dates on y axis

Hi,

I'm trying to create a line chart in Power BI that shows the trend impact of multiple milestones.  The x axis consists of months and the y axis consists of dates.  The idea is, as you progress throughout the year the anticipated completion of a project, or its individual milestones, will change.  I've been able to easily create this chart in Excel, as you can tell from the attached image, but I'm having difficulty replicating this in Power BI.

Any idea of how this is possible?

MilestoneImpactTrend.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
MB2K

Hello can anyone help me.

I'm dealing with the same issue as stated above.

I want also have to make a milestone trendreport in Power Bi with dates on the Y-axis and on the X-axis. I'm wondering if Power BI has 6 years later than the previous post a solution for this.

Thanks for replying.

HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@iDataDrew Currently Power BI does not give an automatic way to use dates or time on Y-axis. Power BI expect a measurement on y-axis. The best bet for you would be to convert your dates into numerical values e.g. 2014-01-14 becomes 20140114 for all three of your measures i.e. Scope, Analysis and Validation. When you will plot it on line axis it will show you the trend you are looking for.

Regards

Harris

Thanks @HarrisMalik.  I actually thought about doing that, but didn't think it would look as clean or understandable to people.  But if that's what I have to do for now, I guess that's what I have to do.  Thanks for the insight!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.