Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jopezzo
Helper I
Helper I

How to create a dynamic table with repeating dimensions for each date?

Hi!

I am trying to build a table where some dimensions ("From currency" and "To currency") are automatically repeated for each date in a certain time period.

For example:

Imagine that my dimensions are the following ones:

From  To

EUR    USD

EUR    SEK

EUR    CNY

Then I have all dates from 01/01/2013 to 31/12/2019 in a table.

To create these dates, I used the following formula: DateTable = CALENDAR(DATE(2013,01,01),DATE(2019,12,31))

That is working well.

Now what I am not able to do is to have my "From" and "To" dimensions repeating for each date.

See below what I would like to do:

Table 1Date  
 1/01/2013  
 2/01/2013  
 3/01/2013  

Table 2FromTo 
 EURUSD 
 EURSEK 
 EURCNY 

Dynamic tableDateFromTo
 1/01/2013EURUSD
 1/01/2013EURSEK
 1/01/2013EURCNY
 2/01/2013EURUSD
 2/01/2013EURSEK
 2/01/2013EURCNY
 3/01/2013EURUSD
 3/01/2013EURSEK
 3/01/2013EURCNY

Table 1 would be built with formula DateTable = CALENDAR(DATE(2013,01,01),DATE(2019,12,31))

Table 2 is a manual input in a table

Dynamic table would repeat all currencies From and To for each date.

Thanks for your help!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@jopezzo,

Check if the following code returns your expected result.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wcg0NUtJRCg12UYrVgfGCXb2ReM5+kWCes4cbkkoQjVAJUgOViwUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [From = _t, To = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"To", type text}, {"From", type text}}),
 #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "StartDate", each #date(2013,1,1)),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "End date", each #date(2019,12,31)),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Custom", each List.Dates([StartDate],Duration.Days(Duration.From([End date]-[StartDate]))+1,#duration(1,0,0,0))),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom2", "Custom"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{{"Custom", "Date"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@jopezzo,

I directly use Enter data option in Power BI Desktop to create the currency table, in your scenario, you can copy the following code part and paste it after the source code of the current query in Advanced Editor.

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "StartDate", each #date(2013,1,1)),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "End date", each #date(2019,12,31)),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Custom", each List.Dates([StartDate],Duration.Days(Duration.From([End date]-[StartDate]))+1,#duration(1,0,0,0))),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{{"Custom", "Date"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@jopezzo,

Check if the following code returns your expected result.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wcg0NUtJRCg12UYrVgfGCXb2ReM5+kWCes4cbkkoQjVAJUgOViwUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [From = _t, To = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"To", type text}, {"From", type text}}),
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

It is working with my theoretical example. Now, with actual data (my currencies in my Table1), how do I do? It looks like the currencies I gave you as example are somehow stored in the beginning of the code (the "json" part, which I don't know at all).

Thanks again for your support!

@jopezzo,

I directly use Enter data option in Power BI Desktop to create the currency table, in your scenario, you can copy the following code part and paste it after the source code of the current query in Advanced Editor.

in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@jopezzo,

1. Add a blank query in Query Editor of Power BI Desktop, and then paste the following code to the advanced editor of the query. Then rename the query to DateTable.

let
    Source = #date(2013,1,1),
    Custom1 = List.Dates(Source, Number.From(#date(2019,12,31))- Number.From(Source) ,#duration(1,0,0,0)),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Custom1, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", "Date"}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Custom", each "EUR")
in
    #"Added Custom"

2. Add another blank query in Query Editor of Power BI Desktop, and then paste the following code to the advanced editor of the query.

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(DateTable,{"Custom"},#"Table 2",{"From"},"Table 2",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Table 2" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "Table 2", {"From", "To"}, {"Table 2.From", "Table 2.To"})
in
    #"Expanded Table 2"

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

@v-yuezhe-msft: thanks for your help. It is very close from the solution I need. I see that in your query you did, you created a custom column for EUR, since in my example column "From" was only EUR. I should have showed different examples, since I would like this column from to be dynamic as well (I do not have only EUR in fact). How can I do?

@jopezzo,

Could you please give a more detailed example? If your From column contains different values, you can duplicate this query and filter data to contain only one value in the duplicated queries, then apply my code.

After all, you can append all your queries into one query.

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia, It is more or less the same, except that I would have different values in column "From":

Table 1Date 
 1/01/2013 
 2/01/2013 
 3/01/2013 

Table 2FromTo
 EURUSD
 EURSEK
 EURCNY
 CHFUSD
 USDSEK
 CNYUSD

In your code, column "From" seems to be written as "EUR" for each date. What I would like to have is to have all my values in column "From" repeated for each date. Same for column "To".

Thanks, Lydia!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.