Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to create a calculated row in a matrix?

Hi All,

I am trying to calulate % share in matrix. My data is like below. I am using Matix - Market in Row, Year in Column and % Share (Calculated measure) in Values. 

DataDataMatrixMatrix

The measure(s) used: % Share = SUM(Sheet5[Value])/[Total Value]

Total Value = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet5[Value]),ALLSELECTED())

Here you can see the % share in the picture is wrong. How I want is, Market's share / total share for that year. I know this I can achieve through chaging measure - Total Value = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet5[Value]),ALL(Sheet5[Market])) -> which I do not want because Market is static here. Means I do not want to give any field name in the formula, it should calculate based on which field I am using in rows of matrix because any field can be used in Rows.

Any help on this highly appreciated.

Regards,

Niket Talati

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

Here you can see the % share in the picture is wrong. How I want is, Market's share / total share for that year. I know this I can achieve through chaging measure - Total Value = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet5[Value]),ALL(Sheet5[Market])) -> which I do not want because Market is static here. Means I do not want to give any field name in the formula, it should calculate based on which field I am using in rows of matrix because any field can be used in Rows.

In this case, you can change the measure [total value] a little bit as below so that the [% share] can vary according to the row.

Total Value = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet5[value]),FILTER(ALL(Sheet5),Sheet5[year]=MIN(Sheet5[year])))

But the total column of the matrix won't make sense in this case. You can hide it.

捕获.PNG

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
madhushree
Frequent Visitor

Hi ,

We are building a report in power bi.

This is a matrix, where column is YYYY-MM. It also has 2 other columns 12M and 3M.

Here 3M =    ((Current month – Prev 3 Month)/prev 4 month)*100

For example –

3M = (column (2016-07)- column (2016-04)) / column (2016-03)*100

And

12M = ((Current Month – Prev 12 Month)/prev 13 month)*100

For example –

12M = (column (2016-07)- column (2015-07)) / column (2015-06)*100

We are not able to do the above calculations, Can you please us suggest how can this be done.

Thanks and Regards,

Madhushree.K.R

samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Why not use the quick calc in available in the may update?

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your responses.

@Greg_Deckler : I tried, but it is giving me total (irrespective of year) so it is wrong. It should be divided by the total of that particular year.

@Baskar: It is giving me same percentage value which I have attached. So doesn't help.

@ankitpatira: Thanks for the detailed answer but in my actual data, I have around 100 years and many rows and columns. So I could not change this to pivot column, I need to do through DAX formulas.

@Eric_Zhang: Thanks for the answer, but my users want to see total column also. So it doesn't help me.

@samdthompson: I tried, doesn't help.

Any other solution?

Regards,

Niket Talati

Hi,

in dax i cant find how to pick single cell value.

if we can pick like this from DAX we can do, if not we cannot do .

Dax fully based on table and column level from table.

upto my knowledge used the axisting current DAX function we cant do , sorry Smiley SadSmiley Sad

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eric_Zhang : My users want to have only one DAX for all scenarios (more flexible). If it is not possible then I will try to conveince with your approach.

@Baskar: Thank you for the help. No issues..will try to explain my user.

Thank you all.

Regards,

Niket Talati

talatiniket wrote:

@Eric_Zhang: Thanks for the answer, but my users want to see total column also. So it doesn't help me.

Any other solution?

Regards,

Niket Talati

@Anonymous

Then as far as I know it is not possible in a matrix. By the way, things would be much easier if using individual [% share] and [Total Value] in individual matrixs for different rows, may I know why do you have to wrap all scenarios in one [% share] measure.

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

In this case, you can change the measure [total value] a little bit as below so that the [% share] can vary according to the row.

Total Value = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet5[value]),FILTER(ALL(Sheet5),Sheet5[year]=MIN(Sheet5[year])))

But the total column of the matrix won't make sense in this case. You can hide it.

捕获.PNG

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous You can take this alternate approach as well. In power bi desktop go to query editor, select Year column from your dataset, under Transform tab, click Pivot Column, select Value for Values column, Don't Aggregrate under Advanced Options and click Ok.

Capture.PNG

This will give you your dataset like as shown below, Hit Close & Apply.

Capture.PNG

Then use Matrix visual and drop Market and Year fields. Click dropdown arrow on year fields dropped onto Values field and click Quick Calc.

Capture.PNG

Select Percentage of grand total under show value as and click Ok. This will make matrix visual appear as below.

Capture.PNG

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi Niket

% Share = SUM(Sheet5[Value]) / SUMX(ALL("Sheet5 Tablename",Sheet5[Value])

Try this , and let me know 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

In your CALCULATE formula, try changing ALLSELECTED to ALL(Sheet5)

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.