Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogerSteinberg
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to create a button as a hyperlink for sending an email

Hi, 

How can i make a button a email hyperlink?

I know it is possible as a table visual and checking the URL feature in the format option.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MariaP
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @RogerSteinberg 

A  workaround:

You can add a textbox with an asterix, turn the asterix into windings font then turn that into a hyperlink where you can use mailto: 

Video here from Ruth at Curbal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxEo_hO3iIM&list=PLDz00l_jz6zzttb28XH8GHZNL6vvpBlkQ&index=89

Windings.PNG

Cheers,
Maria

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Clinical_Epi
Helper I
Helper I

To save those who dont want ot watch a video...

1) insert a text box

2) change font to "WINGDINGS"

3) click on the "insert link" icon - (looks a bit like a paper clip)

4) type your email as: mailto:myemail@mailbox.com

5) click done

6) edit your text to say "Contact us:" or something meaningful.

7) In Power Bi Report Server (Jan 2021 ver) I found it only tested in the users front end. I couldnt click on "ctrl+link" to test, which gave me the impression it wasnt going to work - but it does work fine.

best of luck

MariaP
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @RogerSteinberg 

A  workaround:

You can add a textbox with an asterix, turn the asterix into windings font then turn that into a hyperlink where you can use mailto: 

Video here from Ruth at Curbal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxEo_hO3iIM&list=PLDz00l_jz6zzttb28XH8GHZNL6vvpBlkQ&index=89

Windings.PNG

Cheers,
Maria

View solution in original post

Thanks. It works. Only question I have is: Can we populate the "Subject line" of an email?

Hi - I guess Power Bi has its restrictions, it would be good if there was a HTML option so we could add extra functionality using code, HTML is a good example where if MS added this into Power BI more people would take up the product.

Another pet peeve of mine right now is getting all Months to show in a Trend line (graph line visual) - plenty of options for avg or var lines, but when using a trend line our options are limited...

I figured it out. You need to put ? and then subject. It needs to be like this:

mailto:abc@xyz.com?subject=What ever you want to put

Thanks,

Ritesh

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RogerSteinberg,

Currenly there are only 3 actions available with button: back, bookmark, and Q&A. Perhaps email option will be added into future update of Power BI Desktop. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS on Demand

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

July 2021 Update 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the July 2021 Updates

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors