Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to create a Many to One relationship to create line graph

Hello,

I'm new to Power BI so i'm having trouble finding a solution to this. I have a table below:

Capture.PNG

I want to build a report with Line Graph on Power BI with the Quarters on the X-Axis, and the count of dates on the Y-Axis. Example: (But the 2017 Q1 would have a count of 1 and 2017 Q2 would have a count of 4...and so on.Capture1.PNG

I tried Transposing the original table to get a column of Quarters so I can use the Line Graph but I can't seem to create a relationship between the two tables. (Since Supplier ID is not the unique column after transposing). I can't think of anyway to create a unique table that can connect the two either.

I also tried to create individual Measures to total up the count from each Quarter in the original table but I can't get it to look right using the Line Graph.

Any ideas to help me get from the original table to the Line Graph is appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI, @Anonymous

You could try this way as below:

Step1:

In Edit Queries, select Supplier ID column then right-click ->Unpivot Other Columns

or select 2017 Q1 - 2018 Q4 column Unpivot Columns

1.JPG

Step2:

Filter blank value and  click Close&Apply

2.JPG

Step3:

You could drag the field Attribute ino X-Axis and use this measure as Value

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Value]))

or add a year quarter fact table and create the relationship with data table by Attribute .

Result:

3.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI, @Anonymous

You could try this way as below:

Step1:

In Edit Queries, select Supplier ID column then right-click ->Unpivot Other Columns

or select 2017 Q1 - 2018 Q4 column Unpivot Columns

1.JPG

Step2:

Filter blank value and  click Close&Apply

2.JPG

Step3:

You could drag the field Attribute ino X-Axis and use this measure as Value

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Value]))

or add a year quarter fact table and create the relationship with data table by Attribute .

Result:

3.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried this and after some editting I was able to get the Line Graph and Create the Relationship! Thank you very much all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Ninanguyen24,

In PowerQuery via Power BI Desktop, I duplicate the table I'd like to extract unique values from, then remove all cloumns not needed from the duplicated table, then remove duplicates from the cloumn I expect to turn into a unique vlaue table. I then reference through this table to create connection where needed.

I know it doesn't solve your whole problem, but it's an approach to isolate a table with unique vlaues.

PM

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Which 2 Tables are you talking about?  There is only 1 Table there.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I should have been more clear. To create a continuous Line Graph, I had to transpose the original table to the table below: Capture3.PNG

So when I create a visual in Power BI, the Quarters will be on the X-Axis and the count of dates for each quarter will be on the Y-Axis. When I do this, the Suppier ID is in individual columns, there's no way for me to create a relationship. Maybe i'm heading in the wrong direction.

I'm just trying to get a Line Graph with Quarters on the X-Axis and Count of Dates on the Y-Axis.

Hi,

Paste the Table here so that i can take it into an Excel file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.