Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to create a Many to One relationship to create line graph

Hello,

I'm new to Power BI so i'm having trouble finding a solution to this. I have a table below:

Capture.PNG

I want to build a report with Line Graph on Power BI with the Quarters on the X-Axis, and the count of dates on the Y-Axis. Example: (But the 2017 Q1 would have a count of 1 and 2017 Q2 would have a count of 4...and so on.Capture1.PNG

I tried Transposing the original table to get a column of Quarters so I can use the Line Graph but I can't seem to create a relationship between the two tables. (Since Supplier ID is not the unique column after transposing). I can't think of anyway to create a unique table that can connect the two either.

I also tried to create individual Measures to total up the count from each Quarter in the original table but I can't get it to look right using the Line Graph.

Any ideas to help me get from the original table to the Line Graph is appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI, @Anonymous

You could try this way as below:

Step1:

In Edit Queries, select Supplier ID column then right-click ->Unpivot Other Columns

or select 2017 Q1 - 2018 Q4 column Unpivot Columns

1.JPG

Step2:

Filter blank value and  click Close&Apply

2.JPG

Step3:

You could drag the field Attribute ino X-Axis and use this measure as Value

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Value]))

or add a year quarter fact table and create the relationship with data table by Attribute .

Result:

3.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI, @Anonymous

You could try this way as below:

Step1:

In Edit Queries, select Supplier ID column then right-click ->Unpivot Other Columns

or select 2017 Q1 - 2018 Q4 column Unpivot Columns

1.JPG

Step2:

Filter blank value and  click Close&Apply

2.JPG

Step3:

You could drag the field Attribute ino X-Axis and use this measure as Value

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Value]))

or add a year quarter fact table and create the relationship with data table by Attribute .

Result:

3.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried this and after some editting I was able to get the Line Graph and Create the Relationship! Thank you very much all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Ninanguyen24,

In PowerQuery via Power BI Desktop, I duplicate the table I'd like to extract unique values from, then remove all cloumns not needed from the duplicated table, then remove duplicates from the cloumn I expect to turn into a unique vlaue table. I then reference through this table to create connection where needed.

I know it doesn't solve your whole problem, but it's an approach to isolate a table with unique vlaues.

PM

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Which 2 Tables are you talking about?  There is only 1 Table there.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I should have been more clear. To create a continuous Line Graph, I had to transpose the original table to the table below: Capture3.PNG

So when I create a visual in Power BI, the Quarters will be on the X-Axis and the count of dates for each quarter will be on the Y-Axis. When I do this, the Suppier ID is in individual columns, there's no way for me to create a relationship. Maybe i'm heading in the wrong direction.

I'm just trying to get a Line Graph with Quarters on the X-Axis and Count of Dates on the Y-Axis.

Hi,

Paste the Table here so that i can take it into an Excel file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.