Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sjdb
Regular Visitor

How to create ToolTip table showing all Text values within a given date range

If I have a DataTable with columns [Comments], [Start Date], [End Date] and [Value], and I plot Value on a daily basis as a Stacked Column Chart using a monthly slicer, how can I create a ToolTip where when I hover over a particular day's Column it will show all Comments and Values where the particular day falls on or between the Start Date and End Date? [Comments] is Text type information, and [Value] is Decimal type information. I have a separate Calendar table with dates etc. in it that currently has a Relationship between Calendar[Date] and DataTable[Start Date].

E.g. If I hover over the Stacked Column Chart Value item for 15 June 2020, and two of the rows in DataTable have

Start Date = 12 June 2020 and End Date = 15 June 2020

Start Date = 13 June 2020 and End Date = 23 June 2020

I'd like to show the Value and Comments in a Table Visualisation in a ToolTip with both of those rows.  And obviously if more than these two meet the [Start Date] <= Hovered Date >= [End Date] criteria, I'd like all of them shown too.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @sjdb,

You can try to use CONCATENATEX function, it can concatenate a list of field values to single text string:

Measure =
CONCATENATEX (
    CALCULATETABLE (
        VALUES ( Table[Text] ),
        ALLSELECTED ( Table ),
        VALUES ( Table[Category] )
    ),
    [Text],
    ","
)

CONCATENATEX function 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@sjdb , create a measure like that which takes the selected value and calculate this date range and filter the data. Use this measure in the tooltip page and try.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-tooltips

@amitchandak , sorry I found your reply a little confusing. Are you saying I should use the CALCULATE function to create the measure for the ToolTip? What exactly would the code for the CALCULATE dax look like, as I have tried using this with no success so far.

What would the Expression be for the first portion of the CALCULATE function? (normally I would use SUM but the DataTable[Comments] column is of Text type data...)

Thanks!

Hi @sjdb,

You can try to use CONCATENATEX function, it can concatenate a list of field values to single text string:

Measure =
CONCATENATEX (
    CALCULATETABLE (
        VALUES ( Table[Text] ),
        ALLSELECTED ( Table ),
        VALUES ( Table[Category] )
    ),
    [Text],
    ","
)

CONCATENATEX function 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

This is awesome, but the code doesn't address the date requirenment. If the user wanted to see the values for a specific date, how would they incorporate that requirment into the piece of code you provided? Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.