Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to create Radio Buttons in Power BI Dashboard Report

Hi All,

I would like to create Radio Buttons as shown below in my Power BI Dashboard.

sakshidixit_0-1614245771298.png

I have various Date Fields in my Source Table like Fiscal Year, Fiscal Month, Calendar Year, etc. However, if I use Slicer option as a visualization tool. it shows me various values under those fields in option as values, for example - if I select Fiscal Year then values appear like 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, etc. or Fiscal Quarter then 'Quarter 1', 'Quarter 2', etc. values appear for selection. However, my requirement is to display only the options as shown above, but various values under these selction options should not be visible. For instance, if I select 'All Time' then it should show all the data in the Report but selection option should not display all the dates, similarly if I select 'Quarter' then in should show me data for 'Current Quarter' however I would not like to see various quarters as selection option, etc. I would like to display various Time Fields as selection options in Radio button without their values and only one selection would be possible at a time. Can someone please suggest how can I achieve this. 

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot for reverting @PaulDBrown, however I later managed to achieve the required results without using Bookmarks and Buttons, via normal 'Slicer' provided by Power BI as a visualization tool. Just had to create a Table for the values which I would like to be displayed in Slicer. Below are the screenshots of the same.

Only columns 'Time Periods' and 'Index' will be required to align various values in Slicer accordingly. 

sakshidixit_0-1614535823491.png

Results can be seen as below:

All Time.PNG

Quarter Over Quarter.PNG

Can follow the below links for reference:

https://towardsdatascience.com/dynamic-filtering-in-power-bi-5a3e2d2c1856

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Dynamically-change-the-information-within-a-visual-v...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

One way of achieving this is using bookmarks and buttons, where each button is set up to display only the desired visual(s) filtered accordingly (a fairly onerous set-up)

Alternatively, you can set up a page which acts as a menu with buttons taking the user to a page with the corresponding visuals (less onerous)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @PaulDBrown,

Thanks for reverting. However, I believe this - "One way of achieving this is using bookmarks and buttons, where each button is set up to display only the desired visual(s) filtered accordingly (a fairly onerous set-up)" is my requirement and I am seeking a solution to achieve this. Can you please help with the steps to achieve the result/s? (as stated vizualizations Slicer or chiclet slicer doesn't help).

@Anonymous 

What you need to do is:

1) set up all the visuals you are going to need for each of the buttons, making sure that each visual shows the information the button reflects.

2) create buttons for each of the options. You need two buttons for each selection: one to navigate to the information (so an "active button" associated to a bookmark); the other simply to show which selection is visible (an inactive button with no action associated).

all visuals.JPG

Now you need to create the first bookmark by deselecting the visuals which aren't relevant to that particular selection (using the "selection" pane under view. Once you have hidden the visuals you don't need, including the relevant buttons, you "add" a new bookmark (using the bookmark pane under view).

selection and bookmark.JPG

Once you have created all the "pages" and assigned a corresponding bookmark, you need to establish the navigation between bookmarks by assigning a bookmark to each button (you do this in pair: one active and one inactive).

buttons inact.JPGButtons.JPG

Whenever you make a change to a particular view (after you have set the bookmark) you need to update the affected bookmark for the change to be recoded as part of the bookmark:

Update bkm.JPG

and you get this for your efforts:

Bookmarks and buttons.gif

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot for reverting @PaulDBrown, however I later managed to achieve the required results without using Bookmarks and Buttons, via normal 'Slicer' provided by Power BI as a visualization tool. Just had to create a Table for the values which I would like to be displayed in Slicer. Below are the screenshots of the same.

Only columns 'Time Periods' and 'Index' will be required to align various values in Slicer accordingly. 

sakshidixit_0-1614535823491.png

Results can be seen as below:

All Time.PNG

Quarter Over Quarter.PNG

Can follow the below links for reference:

https://towardsdatascience.com/dynamic-filtering-in-power-bi-5a3e2d2c1856

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Dynamically-change-the-information-within-a-visual-v...

PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Anonymous ,

Please try custom visual called Chiclet Slicer.

See a related thread that might help:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/how-to-implement-radio-button-yes-and-no-filter-in-power-bi/m-p/516462

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @PC2790,

I have visited almost all the possible threads available in the forum/ community, however none were actually able to resolve my issue. However, even if I try using Chiclet Slicer - I may not be able to include more than 1 field under 'Values' and if I try to include it under 'Category', it would present me with all the date values as selection option. Please follow the below screen-shots for reference.

sakshidixit_1-1614250711430.png

Only 1 field can be included under 'Values'.

sakshidixit_2-1614250762757.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.