Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to create DAX formula using vlookupvalue with custom text for unmatched records

Hi, I'm able to bring corresponding a_name back to table 1 via vlookupvalue but any unmatched values are showing as blank. Is there a way to assign those unmatched values in a_name to 'Outside of London' in table 1?

Table 1            *-1     Table 2                            *-1           Table 3

ID                               ID           a_code                              a_code         a_name

10001                        10001     a1                                      a1                North London

10002                        10002     a2                                      a2                East London

10003                        10003     a3                                      a3                West London

10003                        10004     a3                             

Desired output for table 1 should look like this

ID             a_name

10001      North London

10002      East London 

10003      West London

10003      West London

99999      Outside of London

For context, table 1 is a bookings table where we allow repeating customers, table 2 contains all (distinct) customers in London, table 3 is London area lookup table. Customer ID 99999 in bookings table is from out of London so I like to flag those records as 'Outside of London'. The aim is to build 2 histograms in table 1, one showing distinct count of ID by a_name and another with count of ID by a_name. 

Thanking you in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Since you have two M:1 relationships, you can just use the RELATED function for your new column on Table1.

a_name = var thisAname = RELATED(Table3[a_name])
return IF(ISBLANK(thisAname), "Outside of London", thisAname)

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

In Table2, write this calculated column formula

Area = LOOKUPVALUE(Table3[a_name],Table3[a_code],Table2[a_code])

In Table1, write this calculated column formula

Calculated Column 1 = LOOKUPVALUE(Table2[Area],Table2[ID],Table1[ID],"Out of London")

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , if you want a column approch it is two step. From Table 3 to table 2, You can use related

New column in table 2

Name = related(Table3[a_name])  // Assumed they are joined 

Table 2 to table 1- New column  in table 1

New column =

var _1 = Maxx(filter(Table2, Table2[ID] = Table1[ID]),Table2[Name])

return

if(isblank(_1),"Outside of London" ,_1)

refer this video how copy data from one table to another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czNHt7UXIe8

BI_Jo
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi,

Are you using the LOOKUPVALUE DAX function?  If so, it looks like you can set the last optional parameter (<alternateResult>) to "Outside of London", this should replace the blanks you have:

LOOKUPVALUE( <result_columnName>, <search_columnName>, <search_value> [, <search2_columnName>, <search2_value>]… [, <alternateResult>] )

Hope that helps

Jo

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Since you have two M:1 relationships, you can just use the RELATED function for your new column on Table1.

a_name = var thisAname = RELATED(Table3[a_name])
return IF(ISBLANK(thisAname), "Outside of London", thisAname)

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.