Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rlama
Regular Visitor

How to count value from excel spreadsheet

Hi all,

I am new on this forum and trying to learn Power BI. Just want to know how can I count values from my excel spreadsheet to Power BI. I want to count total number of YES, NO and PARTIAL from each column of my attached spreadsheet.

Please advise.

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rlama ,

You can refer to below steps to add index column and custom column in query editor to get specific text count:

#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Yes Count", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(#"Added Index"{[Index]}),each _="YES")))

Full query:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fZJBDoAgDAT/wtlveCNyMB4M4f/fUKKWdnfxUkSWtju01nSue1rSduTslnKH56DHtpisgOgLXQK3QN2XkYhlOpH/tLKY5j2hjeXSbZskeFc8AMJcCC59XfwzmmP0yiobAaPy6VzdCbUIG5AVzsjEiC6z14+pzMU9QmJjodYPdail5o9eBJsSPYuJmLoXHSFqmqzWLg==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [A = _t, B = _t, C = _t, D = _t, E = _t, F = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"A", type text}, {"B", type text}, {"C", type text}, {"D", type text}, {"E", type text}, {"F", type text}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Yes Count", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(#"Added Index"{[Index]}),each _="YES")))
in
    #"Added Custom1"

10.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rlama ,

You can refer to below steps to add index column and custom column in query editor to get specific text count:

Full query:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fZJBDoAgDAT/wtlveCNyMB4M4f/fUKKWdnfxUkSWtju01nSue1rSduTslnKH56DHtpisgOgLXQK3QN2XkYhlOpH/tLKY5j2hjeXSbZskeFc8AMJcCC59XfwzmmP0yiobAaPy6VzdCbUIG5AVzsjEiC6z14+pzMU9QmJjodYPdail5o9eBJsSPYuJmLoXHSFqmqzWLg==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [A = _t, B = _t, C = _t, D = _t, E = _t, F = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"A", type text}, {"B", type text}, {"C", type text}, {"D", type text}, {"E", type text}, {"F", type text}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 0, 1),
in
    #"Added Custom1"

10.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi rlama,

Make the columns unpivoted in Power BI and find out how many Yes, No and Partial in the value column.

YesNo.PNG

YES_COUNT : CALCULATE(Count(TableName, Filter(Value = "YES"))

NO_COUNT : CALCULATE(Count(TableName, Filter(Value = "NO"))

PARTIAL_COUNT : CALCULATE(Count(TableName, Filter(Value = "PARTIAL"))

Total = YES_COUNT + NO_COUNT + PARTIAL_COUNT

Regards,

Pradeep

Hi Pradeep,

Thanks for the reply. But I have lots of column with values. Don't know how to do it.

Please help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi rlama,

With the help of Macro or SSIS Package, you can consolidate all together and push end results(unpivoted) in sql table or Excel. But Excel should support 1048576 Rows in total. So, best choice is to go for SQL table for your end result. 

And, from sql you can do the rest of things in Power BI.

Regards,

Pradeep

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.